Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjfritz
Reel Rookie

Live Streaming Freezes and won't automatically resume

I have 4 different Roku devices and this problem occurs randomly on all of them.

During Live Streaming a program, the screen will freeze completely, with no messages, and will not resume on it's own. If I go back and re-select the same Live Stream program, it will resume with no issue, but can happen again later.

This happens on Xfinity Stream, not sure if it occurs on other Live Streams, but I haven't noticed it.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Live Streaming Freezes and won't automatically resume

@jjfritz 

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
conrad013

I am having the same issue ever since the update 11.5.0 build 4235-CR was installed.  I have 3 Roku devices and it is happening on each one. Everything worked perfectly prior to the update. I can be watching any app (xfinity/Disney/netflix etc) and within 5 seconds the video feed freezes but there is still audio. I found a weird manual fix however I have to do it every time I use an app.

Example: I want to watch xfinity
Launch Xfinity App - Video then freezes and audio is working. Then I close xfinity then go to Settings - Display Type - Change resolution from 1080P to 720P. Re-launch xfinity app and all works fine. Then i want to watch Peacock or any other app. I launch that app (peacock) and the video freezes. Then I close Peacock then go to Settings - Display Type - Change resolution from 720P to 1080P. Re-launch peacock app and all works fine.

Like I said above, this is not an app or device dependent .  I have 3 Roku express's and all three worked perfectly. Tis started happening after the last update.

Please advise on a permanent fix.

0 Kudos
Lindaloo

I am having the same problem with some apps. This fix seems to have worked but we definitely need a permanent fix #roku.

0 Kudos
Dave36

For what it's worth, I had the same issue on my 4K.  I physically pulled the plugs out of the wall on both the Roku and the TV, waited a minute and then plugged them back in again.  It seems to have solved it ...

0 Kudos
jjfritz
Reel Rookie

Danny-

More information -

It appears that it's the Major Networks that do not work. It is the same on all our Roku TV sets. NBC, CBS, ABC will not work on any channel. But channels like ESPN, FOOD, WILD all work OK.

John

0 Kudos
Nicsh

I’m currently having the same exact problem. I’ve tried resetting my modem,  my Roku stick and removed/added the Xfinity app, but still nothing. Ever since the recent update, it has been a total mess. 

0 Kudos
jjfritz
Reel Rookie

I was on the Chat with Roku Support. I went through all the procedures they recommended, and still have the problem. After that they said it must be an Xfinity problem. SO I logged on the Xfinity and indeed they are having problems. Not sure when it will be resolved.

John

0 Kudos
Travis_R

I have many Roku devices and I am experiencing the issue explicitly on 11.5.0 as a previous poster said on ALL devices. I would encourage the developers to take a look at this. The resolution adjustment works as a temporary fix.

0 Kudos
Leilei

I have 2 LG tvs, 2 4k Roku’s and I’m having the same problem on bith Roku’s but with only the Xfinity Stream app. I regularly use Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and the freezing does not occur when I use those apps. I have done a dozen factory resets just so that I can watch local news. I notice the problem is particularly when I turn off the Roku to conserve power. When I power back on, Xfinity Stream channels will freeze and the audio continues to work as normal, it doesn’t matter which channel I’m watching. So to get around this, after doing a factory reset, I leave the tv on, go into settings and disable the power save to off, until this issue is resolved. This is so annoying! By habit I turn the tv off because it’s the right thing to do. Then I immediately realize that I have to go through the whole factory rest if I want to watch tv again. I hope whoever is responsible for this will fix the problem soon!

0 Kudos