Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YourNumber1Fan
Channel Surfer

Intermittent loss of audio on all channels but not on menu (fixed by reboot)

Every 3-10 days lately, the audio drops out on all channels (tested Roku Channel, Netflix, YouTube TV), and only returns after I reboot the system (either by menu or cutting power for 30+ seconds).  Audio on the Roku menu is NOT affected (works fine). I've had the device for over a year, but the problem only started within the last several months or so, so I suspect the issue was introduced in a recent software update.  Software was last updated May 11 3:45pm, and I don't think it's been going on that long.  It always seems to happen after I've been using YouTube TV for a while (Version 2.22 build 105005563).

Model: 4800X
Serial number: X01000N8HR3U
Software version: 11.0.0 build 4193-C2
Uptime 6 days 6 hours 4 minutes (last reboot due to this issue, and the issue just came back)
Device ID: S02A2098HR3U
IP address: 192.168.1.142
Ethernet MAC address: 84:EA:ED:0C:56:47
Wireless MAC address: 84:EA:ED:0C:56:46 (not using WiFi)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Intermittent loss of audio on all channels but not on menu (fixed by reboot)

Hi @YourNumber1Fan

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

For us to isolate your audio issue, it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

1. Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup? If so, what is the make/model of that unit?
  2. In Settings > Audio > Audio mode, what setting do you have selected? Does the same issue occur if you change the setting to Stereo, etc.?

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
YourNumber1Fan
Channel Surfer

Re: Intermittent loss of audio on all channels but not on menu (fixed by reboot)

Hi @RokuKariza-D 
Thanks for looking into this.
1. This is a direct HDMI connect to TV setup. There is no A/V receiver or soundbar in the mix. The TV is Insignia Model NS-24D510NA15. MFD 14G11C Rev. A MFG. DATE: Jul, 2014.
2. There is no "Audio mode" sub-menu below Settings > Audio. The sub-menu entries I see are "Menu volume", "Audio preferred language", "Streaming audio format" (set to Auto instead of Dolby or DTS), and "Digital output format".
Under "Digital output format", Auto is selected.  Passthrough, Stereo, and Custom are the other available settings.
Under Auto, the "Available" section shows: "Dolby Audio - DD".
I've changed the "Digital output format" setting from Auto to Stereo in an attempt to explore your "Does the same issue occur" question. I've also rebooted so that I'll have an accurate Uptime when the problem recurs.
I will post again the next time the issue recurs. Hopefully the information that I've provided so far will lead to a resolution sooner than the next occurrence of the problem.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@YourNumber1Fan 

Try changing Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Passthrough and see if this problem happens/happens as much.

In Auto mode, all audio output is transcoded/converted to DD (the highest Dolby level your TV supports) aside from DTS, which can sometimes create sync/latency/empty speaker channel and/or dropout issues (which you are experiencing).

NOTE:  Stereo is also a good option in your case since you are connecting only to a TV with no 5.1 audio output requirement, and has the added benefit of having higher volume.  However, if you do ever connect an AVR/SB to your TV, you would then want to switch to Passthrough (and probably connect your 4800 directly to the AVR/SB instead).

0 Kudos
YourNumber1Fan
Channel Surfer

It just happened again a few minutes ago.  I launched YouTube TV, selected a channel from the "Live" menu, and got pictures but no sound.  I hit the Home/House button on the remote to return to the Roku menu.  the "bee-boop" sound that plays when you hit the button DID play, as did all menu sounds on the Roku menu.  I launched HBO Max, and no sound on any movie.  Hit Home again (got the sound), and launched the Roku Channel, went to a live program, and again no sound.

Uptime: 2 days 13 hours 27 minutes.

Went to Roku | Power settings | System restart and selected Restart

After it came back up, launched YouTube TV, and sound is working again.

Hope that this can be escalated to the engineers; bugs in the YouTube TV app shouldn't be able to crash the audio for other apps/channels.

I'm going to reply to other posters (to trigger notifications) now and reference this post.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
YourNumber1Fan
Channel Surfer

Thanks @UserOfStreamers for your reply.

The issue just happened again (see my recent post with description above).

After rebooting, I changed the setting to Passthrough as you suggested (was previously set to Stereo), and will try that for a while.

I really don't think that is a sync/dropout issue, though, because as soon as I hit the Home button to exit the app, the Roku menu sounds are working.

But I definitely appreciate your brainpower!  Any other thoughts?  I think it's a software bug.

0 Kudos
YourNumber1Fan
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuKariza-D - It just happened again.  I replied to my own post above with details.  Just sending you a reply to make sure you're notified of the post.

Hope this bug can be tracked down.  I'm happy to help the troubleshooting process in any way that I can.  Just say the word!

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@YourNumber1Fan 

Unfortunately this is a known issue with the 4800/2 due to the presence of the Dolby decoder that impacts some users/setups more than others.

Two tricks to try to re-enable sound:

1)  For all apps:  Switch Settings/Audio/Digital output format from Passthrough to Auto (or vice versa, depending on your current configuration) for a few seconds, navigating the menu until you hear the UI sounds, then switch it back, and then re-enter the app - you should have sound during playback.

This works 75-95% of the time instead of having to reboot (if it doesnt work, then you need to reboot).

This often works because its causing the Dolby decoder to change modes/reset.

2) Just for YTTV:  If you load YTTV and there is no audio - during playback (Live TV/DVR/VOD) press Down (popup the menu) and select Audio/Primary (yes, select it) - that will cause it to momentarily reload the stream and re-sync the AV, and 95% of the time re-enables audio (this also effects audio in general for all apps).

Ultimately these 4800/2-specific audio issues need to be resolved/cleaned up by better firmware coding/engineering/design from Roku, which, based upon longtime experience, is unlikely to happen.

0 Kudos