Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mach5
Channel Surfer

I'm getting error message 014.30 and my roku device is not wanting to connect to my internet I h

Jump to solution

It's been about 10 months since the following message was posted:

"Roku supposedly has found as issue which is supposed to be addressed in a future OS or build update. (As is their nature, I am sure we will just be left to guess what the true culprit is).  I believe it will have something to do with how Roku and Asus is handling the authentication encryption process."

I was wondering if this fix/patch has either been resolved, or is still being worked on.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I'm getting error message 014.30 and my roku device is not wanting to connect to my internet I h

Jump to solution

@Mach5 

In all likelihood, changing from WPA3 to WPA2 most likely resolved the issue. (if WPA3-only was still enabled while you were going through your troubleshooting.)

Wifi6/AX routers (some by default), use WPA3 exclusively, and currently Roku devices cannot use either the AX band or WPA3.

You should be able to configure your router to allow both AC/AX and WPA2/WPA3 so that each connected device can use the configuration setting that is compatible with their operation.  Some have found, though, that WPA3 may need to be disabled completely for their Roku devices to connect, but may be due to other settings they still have enabled in the router.

Just some other considerations with the newer wifi6/gaming routers and using Roku devices.  You need to make sure that the 5ghz band is not using DFS channels (52-140) when using seperated bands.  If using a triband router, at least one (1) of the 5ghz bands needs to be configured to use non-DFS channels (36-48 or 149-161) so the Roku device can see and use the 5ghz band.

If you use mesh/combined setup (ie. Smart Connect), if the Roku device is unable to connect to the 5ghz band, then it should automatically connect to the 2.4ghz band.  You can see what band your band your Roku device is using by going to Settings/Network/About. (channels 1-11 = 2.4ghz band)

The other setting with these routers is to make sure that the IP protocol setting is using IPv4.  If the setting is IPv6-only, then will need to at least enable IPv4/IPv6.  

Factory Resetting the Asus router was a good idea.  Many are hesitant to do this, but from a default state, much easier to narrow down setting issues.  Always a good idea to either have the documentation for default settings or take screenshots of your settings when at default state.  Some of these routers will "automatically" make changes to other settings when you enable/disable a manual setting so good idea to go through the menus occasionally to see if anything else (another setting) seems to have changed by enabling/disabling a feature or setting.  The smart firmware is trying to help the end-user by doing this, but doesn't always get it right.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: I'm getting error message 014.30 and my roku device is not wanting to connect to my internet I h

Jump to solution

@Mach5 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue and what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? Have you already tried to reboot your wireless network? If you connect your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile device, are you experiencing the same issue?

For more details about that specific error code, we would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Set up or fix your internet connection

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mach5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, Danny for your reply.

It appears that this thread got split in two.  In the original thread, I post my problem and detailed (possible) resolution in connecting my new Roku Ultra to my new Asus RT-AX86U router:  Solved: Re: Error message 014.30 Roku Ultra device is not ... - Page 2 - Roku Community

For your convenience, here's what I posted:

-----------------------------------------------------

I bought (2) new Roku Ultra units (in 2022).  They instantly connected to my Netgear R7000 router without any problems.  About a month later, I upgraded my router to an Asus RT-AX86U router & updated the firmware.  All of my OTHER devices connected instantly, EXCEPT my (2) Roku Ultras (current firmware installed).  I got the error code 014.30.  In researching this error, I found some threads and tried everything & more to connect.  Nothing worked.  

Here's what *** DID NOT *** work for me:
■ Changed SSID to use no special characters as another Roku user posted to try. (note the SSID with special characters worked fine with my old Netgear router).
■ Changed password to use no special characters as another Roku user posted to try. (note the SSID with special characters worked fine with my old Netgear router).
■ Disabled Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
■ Disabled "Protected Management Frames" as another Roku user posted to try.
■ Un-checked the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" as another Roku user posted to try.
■ Changed bands 2.4 & 5 Ghz 
■ Changed channels within each band.
■ Re-starting Roku devices, router and modem.  Then restarting them in the correct order: modem, router, Roku. I did this MANY times.

What I discovered in the process:
■ When I REMOVED the security on my wi-fi SSID, basically a no-password connection, my Roku instantly connected!!! This led me to believe that it was something in the security settings.  So, I tried every configuration combination in the security settings with no luck.

Here's what *** DID *** work for me:
■ I factory re-set my brand-new Asus router.  But instead of separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands which I did on the first setup, I used the simple setup process which combined the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands (Asus calls this "Smart Connect" - basically your device uses whichever band is best).

In conclusion, I'm not sure if the factory reset fixed the problem and/or combining the bands did it.

-----------------------------------------------------

In addition to what I posted above, I also had to "downgrade" my router's authentication method from WPA3 personal to WPA2 personal.  As I'm sure you are aware, WPA3 provides a more secure connection than WPA2, but many WiFi devices (perhaps the Roku Ultra?) might not yet detect WPA3 and support only WPA2. 

10 months ago, a reply from AvsGunnar stated:

"Roku supposedly has found as issue which is supposed to be addressed in a future OS or build update. (As is their nature, I am sure we will just be left to guess what the true culprit is).  I believe it will have something to do with how Roku and Asus is handling the authentication encryption process."

My question to you today is, if this fix/patch has either been resolved, or is still being worked on?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mach5 

In all likelihood, changing from WPA3 to WPA2 most likely resolved the issue. (if WPA3-only was still enabled while you were going through your troubleshooting.)

Wifi6/AX routers (some by default), use WPA3 exclusively, and currently Roku devices cannot use either the AX band or WPA3.

You should be able to configure your router to allow both AC/AX and WPA2/WPA3 so that each connected device can use the configuration setting that is compatible with their operation.  Some have found, though, that WPA3 may need to be disabled completely for their Roku devices to connect, but may be due to other settings they still have enabled in the router.

Just some other considerations with the newer wifi6/gaming routers and using Roku devices.  You need to make sure that the 5ghz band is not using DFS channels (52-140) when using seperated bands.  If using a triband router, at least one (1) of the 5ghz bands needs to be configured to use non-DFS channels (36-48 or 149-161) so the Roku device can see and use the 5ghz band.

If you use mesh/combined setup (ie. Smart Connect), if the Roku device is unable to connect to the 5ghz band, then it should automatically connect to the 2.4ghz band.  You can see what band your band your Roku device is using by going to Settings/Network/About. (channels 1-11 = 2.4ghz band)

The other setting with these routers is to make sure that the IP protocol setting is using IPv4.  If the setting is IPv6-only, then will need to at least enable IPv4/IPv6.  

Factory Resetting the Asus router was a good idea.  Many are hesitant to do this, but from a default state, much easier to narrow down setting issues.  Always a good idea to either have the documentation for default settings or take screenshots of your settings when at default state.  Some of these routers will "automatically" make changes to other settings when you enable/disable a manual setting so good idea to go through the menus occasionally to see if anything else (another setting) seems to have changed by enabling/disabling a feature or setting.  The smart firmware is trying to help the end-user by doing this, but doesn't always get it right.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Mach5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you AvsGunnar (again) for your very informative and thorough explanation of what to do.  I'll retain all of your recommendations should the time comes when I either change routers or re-configure my current one.  It's reassuring to know that Roku has some very knowledgeable experts in this forum to answer questions on behalf of the rest of us 🙂

0 Kudos