Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Roku from changing tv input to Roku when turning on

I have my AV system set up with Alexa, so when I say turn off media, everything gets unplugged. So when I say "Alexa, turn on media" the tv, power amp and Roku gets power restored and turns on. The problem is, that if I am watching the TV, after 30 seconds, the Roku will automatically turn the TV input to Roku, so I then have to change it back to TV.  How do I stop the Roku from changing the tv input to the Roku input and keep it on the TV ?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to stop Roku from changing tv input to Roku when turning on

@HappyAndrew 

You are probably experiencing the effects of CEC One-Touch Play feature. (auto switching to HDMI Input).

Try disabling it first from within Roku's Settings. (Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play)

---

You may have to experiment with disabling it either through the Roku or your own TV's HDMI CEC settings to see which one gets you the desired results.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, I had already done this, and it seems to continue to change the tv input. I do not want to turn if off on the tv, as I find it useful with other inputs.  I might have a go at getting a special HDMI that has a switch in the control signal.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I'm guessing the reason it takes 30 seconds is that something is pulling the power from the Roku so it's doing a full boot-up each time.  Rokus usually just run all the time, though may enter a low power mode at times.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@HappyAndrew 

If continuing to switch to the Roku HDMI input when CEC disabled at Roku device, then CEC capability is still on at either the TV or the A/V receiver (if capable).

If you can't configure CEC "individually" for the HDMI inputs at either TV or receiver, then may be limited with your idea of an additional controllable HDMI switch.

There are some remotes that confuse the HDMI CEC, so it actually may be another remote (signal) that is in use that is causing this issue as well.  Just a thought/avenue to explore.

Sometimes merely introducing the receiver is the culprit as some handle CEC features better than others.

----

May have to work backwards and introduce elements to the system until you find the fault/culprit on this one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

You are correct, I power down the tv, amp and roku. So when I turn it all back on, and put the power on, it will be rebooting from turning off the power the night before.  ( have you seen the cost of electricity!!)

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If I did my back-of-the-envelope calculation correctly, turning a Roku fully off most of the time, will save enough money to buy another Roku in about 15-20 years.  (At my electricity rates.) So, nothing to sneeze at, and there’s nothing wrong with doing that, but nonetheless, Rokus default to being on all the time, so I was just mentioning that to help explain the delayed reaction you are seeing.

By the way, that calculation was based on something I googled up for “idle” power consumption.  I haven’t found a number for the low power mode that was recently added, but presumably that is lower.

0 Kudos

That is assuming that I only have a Roku plugged in, but add to that, the TV, Power AV Amp, Amazon stick, Bluray player, Projector, HDMI splitter, HDMI over Cat 5 sender.... Oh the AV amp for the room the  projector is in... and that is just my entertainment set up.  As Tesco says, every little helps

0 Kudos