Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TarikB
Reel Rookie

How to get rid of crackling, static sound while streaming

I’m noticing when I stream a Netflix movie or TV show, there’s periods of static or crackle, more so with quiet scenes. It sort of happens within Apple TV as well, but mostly Netflix.

I’ve turned leveling off under sound for the * menu, I’ve tried setting auto to stereo, and still no change. I’ve compared on my PS3, and the Netflix app there doesn’t do the static or crackly sound at all.

Any advice, or am I basically SOL? I’ve tried different HDMI ports, cords, reinstalled Netflix itself... to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Using Roku Premiere.

Labels (2)
14 REPLIES 14
TarikB
Reel Rookie

Re: Crackling/static sound when streaming Netflix/AppleTV

Any help on this guys? The sound is driving me nuts, and I can’t currently replace it with another one as the local Best Buy near me is sold out at the moment with everything going on with the situation..

I just set up a Roku express and I am getting static/humming noise while streaming anything except I noticed on regular YouTube it does not...

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Roku Guru

That's an unusual one.  Sound like you already checked the basics, change HDMI cable and different audio settings.  I don't have more suggestions, I have not had this kind of audio issue.  Maybe our community moderator @RokuDanny-R can help you replace quickly.

0 Kudos
Axxell
Reel Rookie

Exactly the same issue here, static noise in Netflix during quiet scenes. I've played with the settings and cables, even tried a different stereo amp. I've had this issue for a while now and it's driving me crazy. Roku stick 4k...

0 Kudos
TarikB
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I’ve just decided to live with it. There seems to be complaining on this sort of thing dating back to last year or more with virtually no help from the company itself, or solutions or explanations as to why this is a widespread issue. This will definitely be the last Roku I ever buy, next purchase will definitely be a Fire TV or Apple TV. I’m really disappointed with this product, but it was affordable and gets the job done. I’ve learned to just live with it. 

Axxell
Reel Rookie

Hmm this doesn't sound too good. I really like Roku stick 4k however recently I noticed a lot of sound issues and I had to restart it many times. The other issues are intermittent but the static noise is consistent, with no fix apparently. I've got a decent sound system and I'm not willing to compromise on sound quality so probably I'll be switching to Fire stick 4k soon.

0 Kudos
andyfinck
Reel Rookie

Mines been doing it also but not constantly.   A restart always seems to fix the problem.   I've been having troubles with it dropping wifi connection a lot lately so I'm getting a new one with ethernet connection 

May_W

Hello! I had the same issue and I just went to the TV settings and turned the speakers off, played a random movie on Netflix for a few seconds, went back to the home screen, went into the tv settings again, and turned the speakers back on and played my movie again and it was solved. Hope this helps!

Try, while streaming, pressing the asterisk on the remote, go down to audio and turn leveling off. Helped me.