Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bitsnbytes
Streaming Star

How to fix choppy audio during playback

When my Roku Ultra is playing, the audio cuts out momentarily during both speech and music at audio peaks. Lower voices and soft sounds are affected less than higher voices, which cut out as often as every second, though not at regular intervals.   This does not happen when the TV set plays audio from broadcast input (antenna).

This is a recent problem, so I wonder if it may relate to a software upgrade.  Has anyone else experienced behavior like this?  Thanks for any info you can offer.

• Software version: 10.5.0
  • Build: 4208
  • Model: 4670X - Roku Ultra
  • TV: Samsung UN26EH4000

(edited: revised title to use more common terminology)

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Somnath23
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix choppy audio during playback

It happened to me to also when you watch a show or any movie and It cut out the audio then i got to turn off my tv to make it work  

0 Kudos
bitsnbytes
Streaming Star

As an experiment, I have disconnected the TV from power and reconnected it; that did not improve the audio clipping.

Also, I connected an old Roku 2 (4210X) to my TV,  and it's working (at 720p) with normal audio; so it seems I can rule out the TV as a source of the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Somnath23 @bitsnbytes

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bitsnbytes
Streaming Star

Thank you, Danny; I have a tech support case underway (#5317349) and have done several troubleshooting steps. 

The choppy audio continues if I:
* power-cycle the Roku Ultra
* perform a factory reset on the Roku Ultra

But the problem seems specific to this Ultra and this TV set.  It goes away if I:

* put a different Roku unit on this set
* move the Ultra to another set

Since swapping two of my Roku units makes the problem "go away", I may just do that and not bother with tracking the problem down to a real cause.

0 Kudos
milchuck
Streaming Star

Just curious if you're running your Roku through an AV Receiver.  Some people have had success with their sound cutting out by turning off ARC/CEC and/or HDMI Control in their receiver settings.

0 Kudos
bitsnbytes
Streaming Star

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a lousy company; this is the only technical problem I've had with these devices, having been a customer since the LT was out. 

0 Kudos
bitsnbytes
Streaming Star

Thanks for asking about an AV receiver, but that's not my situation: the Ultra is connected directly to the Samsung set, which is playing audio through its own speakers.

0 Kudos