Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savagefishstick
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off?

Jump to solution

ITS NOT THE **bleep**ING TV!! I restart the roku to get it working not the TV!! THERE IS NO SETTING TO ONLY SEE THE TOP CORNER OF THE TV EVERY NOW AND AGAIN! **bleep** THIS SUPPORT AND **bleep** ROKU

Bhoward24
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only app that plays properly is the Spectrum app, all the others (at least the ones I used: Netflix, Amazon, etc) play the video zoomed in. When you click on the apps and are browsing for a show to watch, everything seems normal until you actually start watching something, then the video is always zoomed. 

Also, about every 3rd time I turn my TV/Roku on, the entire viewing area only takes up about 60% of the entire viewing area. I have to shut it off, turn it back on, and then it will go back to not working in a different way (zoomed viewing). 

I have moved this Roku to multiple different TVs in my house (LG, TCL, Vizio), tried 3 different HDMI cords, factory reset the Roku (multiple times). Nothing works. I should mention that I’ve even used the same HDMI cord to hook up my Apple TV and it works flawlessly on all 3 TVs. 

With all that said, I’m out of patience. My first Roku Ultra lasted a little over a year before it stopped working, buy a new one and now this is happening. I also have a TCL Roku TV and that thing is glitchy as **bleep**. Don’t get me wrong, it was a budget TV and you get what you pay for… but just seems par for the course with Roku, in my experience at least. Maybe I’m just an idiot (highly possible) but it just seems to me that I shouldn’t have issues with 4 of the 5 Roku products I’ve purchased over the last 3 years. I can say that I won’t be buying another Roku product, that’s for sure. 

bschomer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Again check and adjust your tv picture settings. Also look at Roku picture settings. As employee Danny recommended, try a different tv or laptop to see if it displays correctly. I’ve run my Roku ultra on quite a few tvs. I actually travel and throw it in my carry on; pretty nice for hotels if you can get decent free Wi-Fi. With the ultra chipset you are going to get the best Wi-Fi reception possible. This LG tv was the first I’ve had issues with. Ran it on insignias, Vizios, Sonys, Emerson’s, magnavox, Samsungs…

0 Kudos
nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a roku ultra - the last update that was pushed to it caused - on an unknown frequency - the screen to be zoomed in while viewing Youtube TV or Netflix or Amazon Prime.

The main screen of Roku is fine - and so is the main screen of the app (for example youtube TV's main screen is fine.   when i start to stream a program is when the zoom shows up.

The only solution is to reboot.

I have fixed the screen format (its not auto). 

I can not predict when this occurs.  i was thinking it had something to do with the auto-power off - but I'm not sure. 

I will keep trying to track down the sequence of events (shutdown from a specific streaming service, auto-time out etc... 

I just know it started after the last update was pushed - 

Bretito-Bonito
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank YOU!! Restart worked for me. 🙂

0 Kudos
Bretito-Bonito
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

makaiguy thank you restart worked for me! Ahemmm 🙄🙃

0 Kudos
AlabamaPlateGuy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This issue was fixed when I realized that I had accidentally selected the zoom feature (greatly subdued in blue font and enabled by a function key push and then left arrow) from my original TV remote.    I have a TCL TV.    Go back to the TV remote, and determine if the remote was used to zoom in the screen.   On the TCL TV, the setting menu has no link back to this zoomed state (Chinese junk).   Give this a try.   

0 Kudos
garethlp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had experienced this weird issue a couple of times a year or so back BUT with my new Roku Ultra it started happening regularly a week ago on YouTube TV and , occasionally other channels including Plex and Netflix after I changed my display setting from 1080p to 4k. It makes the image about twice it's correct size so I only seeing a quarter of the picture (the top-left quarter).

I also have a Chromecast with Google TV so I'll use that for now until Roku fixes what I believe must be a firmware issue.

nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

re:  TV remote zoom in:

>> this isn't the issue with my Roku Ultra

nh_handyman
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It does not seem to be an issue with the new 'auto turn off' function of the Roku Ultra 

the behavior is it takes you out of the app you were in (youtube tv in my case) and turns the device off.  This cuts down on bandwith when you are not around.

So - it does not seem to be related to that new (and welcome) feature.

0 Kudos