Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dolphyn

Restart Roku to fix HDCP Error

Jump to solution

Using Netflix, I always get this error if I turn on the Roku before turning on the projector. In this case, the solution is always to restart Roku. My projector must be turned on before (or simultaneous with) Roku startup.

This works for me, every time -- and several people mentioned in this thread that restarting works for them. The Roku troubleshooting page ought to suggest restarting Roku as a possible solution that works for many people.

Please, Roku, provide a firmware update so that the error screen (or the home screen) would include an easy way to restart Roku without going through all the menus, and/or provide an easy way to make the system recheck the connection from scratch.

skeptastic
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

Everyone is getting so sick of the same response from Roku. All anyone representing them ever says is to follow the troubleshooting steps on their support page. It is actually amazing that after all of these years, they haven't figured out how to help customers resolve the issue, nor have the figured out how to provide us with the exact equipment needed for this issue not to persist.

Like all of you, I am at my wit's end. NO one wants to do a factory reset, swap out cables, try different ports, and unplug and reseat all connections every single day to get a device, that at one point never had an issue, to work in a consistent manner. I am shocked to see years of posts with the same scripted response from Roku. 

0 Kudos
Temi

Jump to solution

Danny, I have done everything you suggested….it doesn’t work. 

I have used 2/3 different hdmis, it works for a couple hours then the roku starts making weird robot beeping noises, and then the hdcp thing comes  back on.

my display type is set to 720p not even 4k and my tv has hdcp 1.4. 

why does it work for hours and then suddenly stop after I turn off the roku. 

0 Kudos
skeptastic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

To anyone reading this, I am not sure if this will apply to your Roku device or not, but the following worked for me and continues to days later.

I have a Roku Ultra. If you go to Settings, then Power, you'll opt to turn off Auto Power Savings. For some reason, when the Roku powers down using the auto power savings feature, it resets your settings. So, when you turn it back on later, it attempts to redetermine your resolution and that is when the HDCP error (020) can happen. I read about this somewhere in a Reddit thread a few days ago and decided try it while waiting for an HDMI splitter I'd ordered to be delivered. Lo and behold, I have not seen the HDCP error since turning off the auto power savings feature.

Please, give this a try and let me and others in the thread know if it works for you. I turn off my TV and Roku and when I turn it back on hours later, the HDCP error is still non-existent. It looks like this may be a true fix and if so, I would be elated to find out that more people are able to get past this issue without needing to purchase extra equipment, constantly unplug and reboot equipment, and so forth.

Hope it works out for you all! If the error comes back, I will definitely update the thread and make you all aware.

Dlbritton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Does the HDCP error occur randomly?

We have our Roku feed into an HDMI splitter and everything was working perfectly. On Tuesday 2/15/22 we were watching TCM on our Roku then switched to Nat Geo Wild at 3 pm and the error occurred. We had not changed anything in our configuration. The splitter is working because it will display a output from the Roku including menus and the "landing" page for each app such as Nat Geo. It will display on demand programs but not Live programs. We tried going back to TCM and it gets the error as well.

We went through all of the listed steps in the Roku article. 

0 Kudos
skeptastic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

One month later, the HDCP error is still not an issue for us. I highly recommend turning the auto-power saving mode off and seeing if that works for you. I'm not sure if that feature is on all Roku streams, but if so, I sure hope it works for you all. It has been a huge relief to enjoy our TV and streaming device without constantly having to reboot, unplug, etc.

Reneliza
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No that’s not the issue. In fact, if the low power option would allow the Roku to actually turn OFF then it would solve the problem almost entirely, as an actual reboot fixes whatever the problem is for me (until the next time my TV turns off but not my Roku)

If anything, when I turned off the low power mode it made the problem occur even more frequently (for me) and wasted more energy at the same time. 

My exact problem may be different from some others though as I don’t have to completely unplug or reboot, but just run auto display detection (wherein it verifies that my setup is indeed hdcp compliant) and it works fine, 100% of the time (note this is not a solution, it’s a workaround for a problem that should be among the very top of the list of things Roku needs to solve, yet clearly isn’t)

0 Kudos
Dartanyon
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP error - need assistance

Jump to solution

Just to follow up. Problem is fixed. Replaced the TV. I didn’t bother to verify but internet “chatter” is that Roku updated DCHP to the latest version in response to a copyright legal action. The TV wasn’t updateable, and didn’t pass proper (new) code back to the Roku. So add TVs to your list of electronics that can be bricked by software updates (or lack thereof).

0 Kudos
degerd

Jump to solution

I have had my Roku Express 4K+ for a couple of years and it has worked great without any problems; however, I recently have been getting an error 020 message.  After I follow all the suggestions on the screen, my Roku will work fine again for a few days then I get the message again.  What is the problem?  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @degerd,

Thanks for reporting this to the Roku Community. We want to check and try to help.

I understand that you are receiving an error message of "HDCP" while accessing your Roku device.

We recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen | Official Roku Support

If the issue still persists, we would like to request the information provided below that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem.
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos