Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

The page that you are referring to those steps do not work I have tried and followed those steps I can't tell you how many times come up with another  solution.  I find detailed it so sad that so many people  on here are having the same issues with these error 020. I have WiFi and went and purchased a roku and can't even enjoy watching anything  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Hummingbird55

Thanks for the post.

If you still are unable to resolve your issue and need further assistance, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
oonsark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny, how does one DM you? I've messaged you at least twice on this issue via the public forum and not received a reply. I can provide you with my Roku serial #and any other information you require.

0 Kudos
oonsark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nevermind, I figured out how to DM you.  DM with details has been sent.

I can't wait to hear how Roku will resolve this issue!

0 Kudos
manringo

Re: HDCP Error Fix July 2021

Jump to solution

The only thing that helped was actually unplugging the tv from the wall, NOT just turning it off.   

I tried all the tricks on here and in different orders but was too lazy to move the cabinet to find the wall plug. But once I did that, problem solved. 

0 Kudos
miket29

Re: HDCP Error - Same thing here

Jump to solution

I'm sure it's the player. Whenever I launch my Plex, Disney or HBOMax (all I use on it), I immediately get the error, before I start playing anything. I am trained now to cut my TV off, wait 10 seconds and cut it back on. Then everything works unless another channel source is selected. I have an Apple TV on my other TV and the Roku 3 on another and don't have these issues. Used all of the players and different cables, it always happens on the Express, no matter the configuration. Going to go with another device at this point or just use my Amazon stick.

0 Kudos
Reneliza
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP Error - Same thing here

Jump to solution

It’s embarrassing that this is still a problem a year later and that Roku is still just repeating the same non-solution. 

I’ve been using Fire TV devices for years but when I needed a new one for the main TV in the living room I got a Roku 4K streaming stick and liked it so much I decided to get a second one for the TV in the bedroom. After it threw a bunch of HDCP errors at me I took it back and traded for another of the same thing, assuming it was just a faulty device. But the new one is doing the same, so presumably it’s some general incompatibility on Roku’s end and not that specific device. 

I tried leaving my Roku plugged into the usb on the TV as that’s how the working one is set up and that causes it to turn off with the TV. Didn’t get hdcp errors but did eventually get a warning that it wasn’t getting enough power. Roku works fine all day until I turn off the tv. When it gets turned back on we get errors. 

The working one is on a 4K TV and the broken one is on 1080 but of course it’s hdcp 1.4 compliant.

I can’t try a different cable because it is a stick. Same error on both hdmi ports. And how’s this for proof that it’s a software error: not only do I not need to manually unplug the Roku - I don’t even have to turn the Roku off. I just go through the display detection again and it recognizes hdcp and suddenly works again. Hmm… 🤔

I tried intentionally downgrading to 720p but that didn’t help (since they both use 1.4 anyway I guess)

It’s super frustrating that the “auto off” doesn’t ACTUALLY turn the Roku off and apparently just puts it into a low power state. That would solve this problem like 90% 

Dartanyon
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP error - need assistance

Jump to solution

Yes, TV is a 2007model 1080i HDCP v1.4. Same issues as most everyone here. I know, “get a new TV” but this is a big expensive one and it has a good picture so I would like to keep it. I ordered a $8 splitter that MAY complete the handshake with the Roku device and send the signal on to the TV. 

this may have something to do with our issues: 'International Trade Commission Bans Import and Sale of Roku Products' - Businesswire.com

0 Kudos
oonsark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The community leader eventually passed me off to ROKU Twitter support.  I had to hound Roku via Twitter for a week before it passed me off to some escalation team that finally agreed to ship me a replacement unit ($20 retail item).  It initially wanted me to ship back the defective unit, but they caved on that when I called out that was ridiculous.  I must have spent 10+hrs trying to resolve this matter over a silly $20 product.

The replacement unit arrived, but has never been opened because the HDCP error stopped happening about 2 days before the replacement was received. 

No hardware was changed on my set-up.  No updates were completed.  No factory reset completed.  The problem just went away...

Without a doubt one of the worst customer service and tech support issues I have ever experienced.  The issue is 100% on Roku's end.  It doesn't know how to resolve the matter nor do they seem interested in doing so.

Screen shots of my exchange with Twitter support may be seen here.

Note all they did was pass me to someone else after a week of back-and-forth.

Good luck, stay strong... and consider alternative devices to accomplish your viewing goals.

Dartanyon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just tried a couple more things. I get the DHCP error from every app but do get audio. Same for video casting you tube from my iPhone so it’s not an app error and I connected to my phone’s hotspot with the same result so it’s not a wireless issue. 

I was previously connected with a Roku2 and it was sluggish but worked. A couple of weeks after it quit powering up, some investigation revealed the power cord had been cut. I repaired that, it updated on power up and the errors started. I figured it had toasted when the cord was damaged so I replaced it with a 4k stream stick and the saga began. I could test it on another TV but I need it in this spare bedroom. Several other Roku devices in the house are still working with random buffering and “Sorry” messages. All TV’s are wireless with good signal except the living room which is connected with a LAN cable because it’s near the router, it’s as glitchy as the rest.

0 Kudos