Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
molinyc
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

Jump to solution

I've been using the same tv with the same Roku stick for over a year and now I'm getting HDCP error 20.messages.

Nothing changed on my side - wonder if Roku has.

I'll re-post once I find a solution if any to this problem.

0 Kudos
Mrojaspt

Jump to solution

Had similar HDCP error message. Followed the Roku video explanation error correction. Worked once. After I turned off my TV for the night and tried turning on TV in morning error message comes back or sometimes the TV screen just goes blank. Roku error correction video didn't help long term.  Any other suggestions? From reading comments it seems roku sometimes send updates that cause problems after. Is this the case? 

0 Kudos
Xfngrs

Jump to solution

Why did it just start happening and only with YouTube?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Xfngrs

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
oonsark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Disappointed that @RokuDanny-R has yet to respond. The help page he/she recommends repeatedly does not answer my questions. 

I have found that if I restart the system from within the settings on the roku that video plays back fine. How convenient is that?? That's sarcasm...

molinyc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ok, so same Roku stick in the same tv set for over 1 year w no problems. NOW, out of the blue - my Roku stick started flashing HDCP error 20 messages.

After applying all of the 'fixes' suggested by others in this site - Roku stopped recognizing my tv's max resolution as 1080p HD and downgraded it to a 720p SD display.

So, no - none of the advice posted in this forum helped.

I decided to simply swap Roku sticks - took the one that was acting up and was connected to the bedroom tv and plugged it in the living room tv and vice versa.

The problem is fixed, both are now working fine.

So, the issue is definitely with Roku.

Forget doing factory resets, or resetting your  display settings, or changing HDMI cables, or blaming it on a bad tv or bad HDMI ports or bad connections, or all the other thousand excuses. 

angelus80
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yep, every time I get the error, I restart the Roku and then it works fine. Which tells me it's a problem with Roku and not the cables. I didn't have this problem until I switched devices between my bedroom and another room. It's ridiculous. 

Gerardo14b
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It was exactly my same case, I finally let it at one location and didn't give any trouble, you are right it's some crazy.

0 Kudos
BidDaddy

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 3 (no way to power it off using the remote) connected to a projector, which I can't leave on due to killing the bulb life.  The only solution that I have found, and it is beyond annoying that I need to do this, is to

1 - Unplug the Roku 3 (I installed a separate power switch to make this a bit easier)

2 - Turn my projector on.

3 - Plug the Roku 3 in

4 - Wait for it to "reboot"

5 - Press the HOME button and I'm good to go.

Beyond annoying that I need to turn on the projector 1st and then the Roku, especially when the **bleep** Roku 3 remote doesn't have a power button (It's always on by their stupid design).  Even if it did, it is really stupid that I need to power up in a specific sequence.  The **bleep** Roku should be smart enough to see that there isn't any problem with my equipment. They need to send out another update to fix this **bleep**.

Jump to solution

I am so disappointed in  roku express. There is nothing  wrong with my TV  for a month and a half been using my roku with no problems then just yesterday got error message 020 and know roku goes to a movie and within 2 minutes back to error. Followed  all the steps 10 times or more still doing the same thing nothing is working went and bought another  roku same thing don't know what else to try

0 Kudos