Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nix30101
Channel Surfer

Re: hot to touch - shorter HDMI cable does not work!

Jump to solution
So now they graciously want to me to send my defective unit to them in order to get a replacement...OF THE SAME UNIT. 
.I refuse to send them a unit back and wait for them to send me another same unit with the same defective design.
Roku Streaming sticks are a defective design
0 Kudos
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Re: hot to touch - shorter HDMI cable does not work!

Jump to solution

@nix30101                      
At least they are not just sending a longer cable. Still not a fix of the issue though. 

0 Kudos
CMBarton

Re: hot to touch (responding to previous post)

Jump to solution

After reading this, I ordered the extender a month ago. I got a reply that said it was backordered and would ship 6 July. I still don't have it. And when I try to check on the order, I'm sent to my Roku account that says I have no orders. There seems to be no way to contact anyone at Roku about anything. So I'm not sure what to do. I haven't been able to use my Roku safely since June. 

Other other weird thing is that it worked fine for over a year. This just happened recently. 

PS: Why do *I* need to have MORE than 24 characters in the subject line for replying to a topic with LESS than that????? (raised an error that I did not have enough characters, so I had to add more). 

0 Kudos
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Re: hot to touch (responding to previous post)

Jump to solution

Extension never worked for us. We finally purchased the one that is not the stick. We have to unplug the sticks when we are not using. 

0 Kudos
MCalca1706
Binge Watcher

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X Can't get HDMI Extender From RoKU It will not accept my Serial Number

Jump to solution

Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Roku Voice Remote with TV Controls Model 3810X Purchased From Amazon 12-17-21

Message on TV Screen that the Roku is Overheating
It is plugged into a USB port to a Samsung M7 Monitor.

I don't have the part needed to plug it into an AC outlet. Where can I get a replacement Power Cable?
I tried repeatedly to order the suggested HDMI Extender with the form but kept getting an error! Then it would not accept my serial number SN 21301H287309!

I am totally frustrated with this device!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X Can't get HDMI Extender From RoKU It will not accept my Serial Numb

Jump to solution

@MCalca1706 wrote:

Message on TV Screen that the Roku is Overheating. It is plugged into a USB port to a Samsung M7 Monitor.

I don't have the part needed to plug it into an AC outlet. Where can I get a replacement Power Cable?

I tried repeatedly to order the suggested HDMI Extender with the form but kept getting an error! Then it would not accept my serial number SN 21301H287309!

Just plugging into the TV's USB port might be the issue. Per the USB 2.0 spec, it only needs to supply 500 mA of power, and that's not enough for a Roku player. Some TVs provide more, and it works fine. My Premiere is connected to a Samsung TV USB port without any issues. 

You can use any USB power source that can provide sufficient power. Many of the small cubes might only provide the minimum 500 mA, and I don't think that's enough. I would recommend one with at least 1.5 amps of power. I have a Roku cube in front of me for my Premiere, and it's rated at 1.0 amps. So something with a little extra just provides a cushion.

For your extender issue, that first 0 you have listed might actually be an O (the letter, not the number). It's very difficult to tell the zero from the letter O. One way to make certain you have the serial number correct is to log into your Roku user account (https://my.roku.com) and copy the serial number from there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MCalca1706
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X Can't get HDMI Extender From RoKU It will not accept my Serial Numb

Jump to solution

Tried several times to get the HDMI Extender using the serial numbers on the Streaming Stick+ and the one on the Roku device page with all the information about your device but neither one works! Why there are two different serial numbers is beyond me!

I have asked support repeatedly for a link to order a replacement power supply (to see if this would help the overheating problem) with no luck!

And why is this Streaming Stick+ getting so hot and giving an overheating message?

Why doesn't it turn off when not in use?

Pretty much every Roku Power Supply I can find on Amazon or elsewhere says "not compatible with the Streaming Stick+" ! Again, I can't test the overheating problem when using a power supply because I don't have the part need to plug it into an AC outlet and I cannot get the HDMI extender because the form does not work!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@MCalca1706 There's only one serial number for each Roku device. The Device ID differs from the serial number, but it does use the same last six digits. The HDMI extender page uses the serial number, not the Device ID.

No Roku device powers itself off when not in use, as long as it has power. They use a very minimal amount of power, so there's little to be gained from turning them off. Also, if it were truly powered off, there would be no way to turn it back on with the remote, as the device has to be running in a minimal state to detect the remote.

Most likely the power supplies you're seeing online state they don't work with the Stick+ because that specific Roku requires the USB cable that contains the WiFi antenna. If you use a standard USB cable, the WiFi radio will not work, which means the remote won't work either. But you can use the factory USB cable (with the antenna inside) with any USB power cube. Just make sure it offers at least 1.5 amp of power. Some of those power cubes only offer 1 amp or less, and that's not enough. Yes, low power can cause overheating. 

Dan

0 Kudos
MCalca1706
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Dan

Thank you so much for the reply and the very helpful detailed explanations.

I don't really need the cable itself, I just need the part that plugs into an AC outlet to see if it will fix the overheating problem.

I found this on ROKU 

Roku® Micro USB Power Adaptor - PW10  PW10-BDL2

Which is supposed to work with the Streaming Stick+ and since ROKU Support could not or would not send me a link to the correct power supply.

The TV is: SAMSUNG 32" M7 Smart Monitor&Streaming TV, 4K UHD, Adaptive Picture, Ultrawide Gaming View, Watch Netflix, HBO, PrimeVideo, AppleAirplay, Alexa,BuiltIn Speakers, Remote,HDMI,USB-C,LS32AM702UNXZA,Black

The Streaming Stick+  started the overheating when used on this TV.  It was connected to an LG HD 60 inch HD 3D TV 1080p. with no overheating messages. 

Streaming Stick Order from Amazon:
Order details Ordered on December 17, 2021 (1 item)

Is this device still under warranty?

SN on Device:SN 21301H287309
SN on TV System About:YHOOHV287309 
                                                                                         Thank You 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku warranty in the US is one year. If you've purchased it in that time frame yes, it's still covered. 

That power cube should be sufficient. I would still suggest moving the Stick away from the TV, not only for better cooling (the Stick models just seem to run warmer than the regular players) but to improve WiFi reception. WiFi was one of the reasons they moved the antenna into the power cable, but it's still good if you can get more space from the TV. All displays emit RF at some level, so moving the Roku further away is always a good idea. Walmart.com offers a number of cables for under $10 (not in the stores, only online). Amazon has a number under $10 as well. And most of them are longer than the cable Roku offers for free, so more flexibility on location. 

Dan

0 Kudos