Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary_mills
Channel Surfer

Have to reset Roku Ultra every time

I have a Roku Ultra 2022, using wired ethernet.  My TV is detected as an Insignia, even though it is really a Dynex model.  All the Roku remote functions (power mute volume) work as they are supposed to, so I assume Insignia is correct.  The software is up to date.

After the Roku box has been idle for a while, the white LED turns on and stays on.  When I press the Power button on the Roku remote, the TV displays HDMI, Retrieving Data, and finally No Signal.

Then, when I reset the Roku box by removing power and re-connecting power, it comes on with the white LED off.  When I press the Power button on the Roku remote, the TV displays HDMI, Retrieving Data, and finally the Roku home screen.  Everything Roku works normally then, until I turn the Roku and TV off with the Roku remote and leave them off for a while.

The fellow who answered my support call suggested a power option that does not exist on my Roku box.  However, his suggestion gave me a successful workaround.  Under system/power, I turned off the low power switch.  It's a checkbox.  I had to press OK twice to clear it.  The associated information read that the low power mode would be activated after 20 minutes of idle time.  My problem seems to be that the Roku Ultra goes to sleep and never wakes up.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have to reset Roku Ultra every time

@gary_mills 

In order to "wake up" the Roku device, you need to press the Home button on the Roku remote.  You also need to do this when you are finished streaming content so you do not continue to use data and allow the Roku device to keep streaming away.

The Power button (as well as the volume and mute buttons) on the Roku remote only controls the connected TV.  The Power button has no effect on the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
renojim

Roku devices don't turn off.  The power button on the remote (as well as volume and mute buttons) are strictly for the TV.  The LED indicator on the front has become less and less useful as a reliable indicator of anything with every Roku update.  It's almost impossible to reach anyone at Roku via phone, so I question whether or not this was really Roku support.  What was the power option he wanted you to look for?  The only power option I'm aware of is "power saving" located under Settings->System->Power on some Roku devices.

If you have "power saving" enabled then pressing any non-TV control button (like Home) should wake your Ultra, but the power button on the remote won't do anything.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gary_mills
Channel Surfer

I tried many buttons to "wake up" the Roku device: none of them worked, but I don't recall if the Home button was one of them.  After I shut off low power mode, the Roku device never needs "waking up".  After pressing the Power button, I do see the reef fish screensaver first, although any button (I usually press the down arrow) brings up the Roku home screen.

I've always pressed Home to stop streaming before I pressed Power to turn off the TV.

The press of the Power button must be relayed through the Roku device, since the Roku remote uses wireless.  I assume it used HDMI to transmit the signal to the TV.

0 Kudos
gary_mills
Channel Surfer

The phone number I called was +1 888 621 0891 .  It's a contractor.  They only support the initial setup.  It may be the Canadian support number.  I don't recall the power option that the support person wanted me to find.  On my Ultra, there are only two power options.  He said the first one was not right.  I chose the second one.  It was a checkbox.

To find out if the Home button wakes the Ultra, I'd have to re-enable power saving, so that it will go to sleep first.  I'll do that sometime today, but I expect it not to work.  I assume I have to press the Home button before the TV says No Signal.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

The Voice Remote is really a hybrid.  It has wifi-direct to control the Roku, and has infrared for the TV control buttons (power, volume, mute).

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
gary_mills
Channel Surfer

I can confirm that when I enabled the low-power setting after 20 minutes of idle time, that pressing the Home button on the remote wakes up the Roku device.  In fact, any non-TV button will do it.  This works before or after the TV displays No Signal.  The only annoying thing is that I now need to press two buttons (Power and Home) at the beginning of a Roku session.

So, it was a pseudo-bug.  I suppose I thought that No Signal meant game over.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@gary_mills 

Try enabling 1-Touch Play on your Roku device and verify that HDMI-CEC is enabled on your TV.

When 1-touch Play is enabled, any button press on the Roku remote (other than power, volume, and mute) should power on your TV, switch to the appropriate HDMI input, wake your device, and place you on the Home Screen).

Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play [checkmark to Enable]

-----

This will save you from pressing the Power button if your TV is off.  If the TV is on, it will simply just perform the other options.  Of course, to turn off tv, you will still need to press two buttons - Home, and then Power.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

gary_mills
Channel Surfer

I'm guessing that my TV does not support HDMI-CEC.  It's a Dynex that I bought at Future Shop about ten years ago.  It has only one HDMI port.  The Source display is done by a button on the TV remote.  There's no setup menu that I can find.  Both Dynex and Future Shop have disappeared.  Until I replace my TV, I will have to be content with two buttons to begin a Roku session as well as to end it.  I'm happy with that situation.