Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobra9646
Reel Rookie

HDHomerun and Samsung TV no audio troubleshooting

I recently helped a friend buy an antenna, roku and HDHomerun. It works fine on my Vizio TVs but on their Samsung there is no audio. If I use a Firestick it works fine on the Samsung TV.

I have read several posts about it but I am not an audiophile to the level I can fully understand the issue.  I know HDHmomerun states that "To hear audio, you need a TV, AV receiver, or soundbar that can decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI. Most modern TVs can do this, though we’ve noticed a few Samsung TVs cannot."

Other people have been able to work around this issue by choosing various audio settings on the tv and roku but I havent found the magic combination.  Does anyone know what the audio settings should be to get this working?

Their gear:
samsung UN65MU8000 T-KTMAKUC-1290.3, BT-S, T-KTMINTV-1012
HDHomeRun HDTC-2US firmware 20210624
3810X Roku Stick+ ver 10.0.0 build 4209-50

0 Kudos
cobra9646
Reel Rookie

Re: HDHomerun and Samsung TV no audio troubleshooting

I was able to get this working with two settings:

Roku Settings/Audio/HDMI set to Dolby Digital
while in the HDHR app, pressing the * button on the remote and changed the sound volume to off

0 Kudos
HN_Exp
Reel Rookie

Re: HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

I recently started to have the same problem of sudden quick blank screen followed by slow motion video but normal Audio (a Sync mismatch) when watching Live OTA TV shows thru HDHomerun IPTV and Roku Ultra box after Roku Firmware update was made! 

Other users have reported the same problem after was it 9.3 roku update?? Roku forum with users having similar issues was removed "Archived" for whatever reason with no resolve! Unless I missed something, no notice of a fix thru some company's Software Upgrade was offered to me (the customer) for this issue and the problem is still there.

This has been going on for too long with no resolution. Can't you guys at Roku and HdHomerun just simply talk to each other to solve this problem for your customers instead of just effectively saying it's not my problem and leave customers just hanging??   Thank you!

BTW: I've HDhomerun Duo, Roku Ultra and an LG smart TV. Ironically, the HdHomerun App made for LG TV OS has no issues. At this point, I'm so disgusted that I'm about to dump all my Roku Ultra boxes and HDHomerun box out with TRASH!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have seen conversations on the Silicon Dust forums, and SD isn't interested in doing much with their Roku channel. They prefer the Android-based players better. It might be because the Roku OS uses a proprietary programming language, so coding for other platforms isn't easily ported over. But bottom line is it's something SD has to resolve. Since other apps/channels play the audio and video just fine, the problem is with the SD programmers, not the Roku OS.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HN_Exp
Reel Rookie

Thank you, Dan, for your input regarding Silicon Dust’s obligations to resolve this issue even though you’re not a Roku employee. At the same time, I know how development folks at Roku are very smart and intellectual. I can’t help but wonder if since as you said, “Roku OS uses a proprietary programming language” (restricting others to a preview of overall picture) and this failure seems like was as a result of an unintentional Roku firmware change, couldn’t Roku engineers at least indirectly help point the much smaller SD development group in the right direction by dropping some clues or suggestions that may help set them in the correct path of solving this problem? Of course, without divulging any “top secret” Roku OS proprietary programming language secrets??? This "not my problem" approach may be good for other losers but not a good for a reputable company like Roku that's facing stiff competition and at the same time, wants to broaden their product offerings like selling Arlo home security camera systems under their own label. It just doesn't reflect good on customers!

Roku doesn’t even need to talk to SD engineering staff directly! They can just whisper their clues softly in my ears and I’d be sure to pass it on. LG OS is also a proprietary OS but, they bent over backwards to work with SD and create a “working” App for LG smart TVs.

As a former Electronics Design Engineer for a giant international medical instrumentation and imaging company, I didn’t hesitate to help (under company’s guidance) a small medical instrument company figure out why their small patient monitor device was occasionally having trouble interfacing with our half-million $$ imaging machine even though still considered a sort of competitor since we also had a similar product offering (neglectable profit source). The reason? Customer satisfaction! The last thing we wanted to do is to tell a medical facility customer they’re forced only to use our products. They want to be able to choose what devices they buy and from whom. Roku is not an Apple product!

0 Kudos