Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BroadRun
Channel Surfer

HDCP on JVC Model: EM377?

My TV is a JVC Model EM377. This is an older model. Video goes through a 4K 60Hz HDMI switch that supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDCP2.2 and CEC. HDMI cables are category 3. Output of switch goes to a OREI audio splitter. Video from splitter goes to JVC TV. Audio goes to an OREI digital decoder that feeds an analog speaker. I have an Apple TV gen 5 and a Walmart $20 ONN Android that work fine with this setup. My new Roku Ultra gives only HDCP Error. I'm watching Farscape right now on the Apple TV using the Plex app. Can't do this on the Roku. I really do not want to unplug everything just to see if the HDCP error goes away. I changed the Display settings. That did not help. The model of JVC TV I have does not appear on the JVC web site. It was a close out at Costco more than a few years ago. Works fine with Apple and Android. Is there a fix or work around for the Roku or should I return it to Best Buy? When the Apple TV software updates, I have to plug the Apple TV HDMI cable directly into the JVC TV to get the picture back. After that the Apple TV works fine through the switch and audio spitter. This work around does not seem to work with the Roku. The Android does not seem to care.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
BroadRun
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP Error on JVC Model: EM37T?

I found a user manual and checked specs for JVC EM37T. Has HDMI-CEC. No mention of HDCP, HDR or any other tech. Have to buy a subscription to download the manual. I guess I am SOL with this Roku Ultra. I will give it one more try unplugging everything. Some notes on Apple TV gen 5 box and Walmart $20 Android: Apple turns on and off the JVC EM37T. Android turns it on, but not off. Audio volume on remotes for both do not work with my setup. I added 64gb external memory to Android that has about 4gb usable internal memory. Roku does not seem to have a microsd slot. There is a little plastic button on the side that I thought would be a caddy for microsd, but it does not seem to open. 

0 Kudos
sm00thpapa
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP on JVC Model: EM377?

I was getting the same error with the cheap HDMI cable supplied with the Roku Ultra. I bought a HDMI 2.1 Ultra high speed cable and it went away for good. 

0 Kudos
BroadRun
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP Error on JVC Model: EM377?

Finally got rid of the HDCP error. The Roku was playing. I got sound on my speakers, but HDCP Error on the video. Remember the description of my setup in the original post. The Roku HDMI cable is plugged into a HDMI switch. The switch feeds an OREI audio splitter sending audio to an OREI digital decoder that feeds analog speakers. Video goes to an old model JVC TV. I saw the reply posted to the original about switching from the Roku supplied HDMI cable to at cat 2 cable. I was already using a cat 3 HDMI cable. I got a cat 2 cable out of my this and that adapter/cable box. Using the cat 2 cable I plugged the Roku directly into the JVC TV. Everything worked. No HDCP Error. I put the cat 2 cable into the switch and everything is working! No erroir. So use cat 2 HDMI cable rather than any of the alternatives. Remember the note in my first reply to the original post about needing to plug the Apple TV HDMI output directly into the TV after any software update. I suspect this is also true for the Roku. I also have a $20 Walmart ONN Android streaming box. I suspect most people would be happy with the cheap ONN. All the apps I want run on it except for Stirr which only runs on the Apple TV box. I added an OTG cable and ethernet adapter to the ONN and a 64gb thumb drive so I have room for a lot of apps. The ethernet adapter works. The ONN is plugged into a Netgear ethernet switch along with the Roku. I got the Roku from Best Buy at a discount. I got the Apple TV gen 5 on eBay for under $100. I got the Roku because I like the Roku channel. I had an old Roku express that bit the dust. Little free stuff on the android. I have Plex on the Apple for free stuff. The only streaming service I pay for is PBS Passport. 

0 Kudos