Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max: An unknown error has occurred. Please contact TV provider

Jump to solution

@yinc @SWBump 

There was an update to the HBO Max app (50.45.49801) today 9/16

@yinc Unfortunately HBO Max controls their account management processes, and you ran into issues with it, but glad you got it resolved and thanks for reporting the resolution back here.

0 Kudos
murph555
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO max not working - Getting error message over and over

Jump to solution

I have been seeing this error since HBOMax switched from Prime to Roku yesterday.  I've tried all the suggested fixes to no avail.  Please help!

0 Kudos
lemful

Jump to solution

Just encountered this error message "Close HBOMax An unknown problem occurred. Please contact your TV provider."  I was trying to watch a series, and the screen asked me to create a password for HBOMax which I did. Then when I tried to watch the series, it gave me the error message above.  I re-started the router, and updated the Roku software and still no luck.

My TV is a TCL Roku.

0 Kudos
Swiz65

Unknown error has occurred please contact your TV provider HBO max.

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We believe this issue has been resolved. If you are still seeing this issue, please feel free to provide us with more information about what you are experiencing and we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

HBO Max worked fine when I was subscribed thru Amazon Prime which they stopped the service for. So I then subscribed thru ROKU TV, and it wont work, It says unknown error has occurred please contact your TV provider. Tried all the suggested fixes, nothing worked so far. The only part that functioned is that they took my money.

0 Kudos
murph555
Reel Rookie

Re: Unknown error has occurred please contact your TV provider HBO max.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the try, Danny; but I'm still having the same issue today.

LadiBugg

Jump to solution

I am trying to view HBO Max this afternoon (09/18) and getting the same error message. My subscription is good until October.

This has never happened to me before. 

Please advise ASAP. 

0 Kudos
Kmw59622

Jump to solution

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one having this issue. Since those who purchased outside of Roku seem to be okay, this definitely seems like a Roku issue. Like all of you, I created a password and purchased it through Roku after my Amazon Prime membership ended. I have been getting the same error no matter how many of the troubleshooting steps I try. Obviously, since I purchased it through Roku and have an active subscription, deleting the app and downloading it again isn't an option. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you're only experiencing the issue on HBO Max while other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact HBO Max Support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
murph555
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was also unable to use ShowTime, so have cancelled it; but both channels were unusable.

0 Kudos
xoxodee__

Jump to solution

Hi I’m having the same issue today, only with HBO Max. What’s happening?

0 Kudos