Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Glitchy flickering screensaver?

Jump to solution

My Roku has stopped going completely to screensaver when video is paused. Instead, it seems to overlay the Logo Rain screensaver over the paused video, usually flickering between the paused image and the screensaver's black background, sometimes popping back and forth between that combined image and the paused video alone. It's like the screensaver isn't completely kicking on.

It started on HBO Max, so I assumed it was an issue with that channel. It's now doing it elsewhere too, though, and sometimes with the selected 'inactivity' screensaver (not Logo Rain) as well.

I've seen only one other mention of this issue, but that was on a different forum and no solution was offered, so I've tried things I've seen suggested for similar-sounding issues:
- The Roku's been restarted, used with a different HDMI cord, different TV and different WiFi (I took on a wee vacation) and it produced the same problem.
- I changed the display type to 720p. It did stop HBO's half-second buffering at the start of shows, but not the screensaver's seizures.
- I changed the default screensaver, even though Roku doesn't use it, to see if it 'resets' the behavior. Still flickers.
- I changed the screensaver start time. Still flickers.

I saw suggestions to change the frame rate to fix a flickering video issue, but that's not an option for the Roku 3 [4200].

Any ideas, Roku Community?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Re: Glitchy flickering screensaver?

Jump to solution

I may have solved your problem (or at least one of your problems) as I too have a Roku 3 and had issues with HBOmax and most other channels (except for Netflix and Hulu), and I was able to fix this issue, which I posted on another forum that had a link to this forum. I do use my Roku Ultra (2018) instead of my Roku 3 to watch movies on the HBOmax channel, so I'm unsure if this will completely fix what you're experiencing with having to go to 720p as a workaround, but that issue might also be resolved if it's related to the micro-SD card you could be using in your Roku 3. People forget all about the micro-SD card that's in older models, which ends up causing various problems since the cache of the SD card conflicts with newer updates -- it really slowed my Roku 3, and I was able to solve that speed issue as well, as now it's as peppy as my Ultra. 

If this does help to resolve your issue and you know of other threads/forums with people who have this glitch then feel free to post this link to them if it's relevant. 

Here's the link:

How to Fix The Screensaver OS 11 Glitch -- 2022 -- Roku Community

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/11-0-0-screen-saver-crashing-mul...)

Hope this helps,

--Portalogem

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@krispyonion 

Apps can override screensaver. Some apps have their own screen saver settings, but absence of such a setting does not mean the app won't pick its own anyway.

And, there is a report (unconfirmed, however) that Roku will override the screen saver default when the app and screensaver combined place a burden on device resources.

So, it could be the app choosing to not respect your screen saver settings.

Or, it could be Roku choosing to play a screen saver with light resources when a heavy resource app is active.

Or, it could be something else that indicates a problem, but I'm leaning toward one of those two.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You appear to be trying to comment on a completely different post about Roku/apps overriding screensaver options and ignoring the user's selected screensaver in favor of Logo Rain.

Wrong post. That is not what this post is about.

This post is about the Roku display glitching out when the screensaver kicks on, and showing BOTH the paused video and the Logo Rain screensaver at the same time.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@krispyonion 

The very first sentence in the original post talked about the screen saver not respecting user settings. I addressed that. My response seemed on topic to me.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I would suspect a faulty device, but one thing to try is another HDMI cable or input on the TV.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I took it on a weekend trip, so it's been used with a different TV, HDMI cable, power cable, etc. - if it's a port issue, it would have to be the port on the Roku itself

Given its age, I guess that's fairly likely, though. Ah well, thanks anyhow!

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I may have solved your problem (or at least one of your problems) as I too have a Roku 3 and had issues with HBOmax and most other channels (except for Netflix and Hulu), and I was able to fix this issue, which I posted on another forum that had a link to this forum. I do use my Roku Ultra (2018) instead of my Roku 3 to watch movies on the HBOmax channel, so I'm unsure if this will completely fix what you're experiencing with having to go to 720p as a workaround, but that issue might also be resolved if it's related to the micro-SD card you could be using in your Roku 3. People forget all about the micro-SD card that's in older models, which ends up causing various problems since the cache of the SD card conflicts with newer updates -- it really slowed my Roku 3, and I was able to solve that speed issue as well, as now it's as peppy as my Ultra. 

If this does help to resolve your issue and you know of other threads/forums with people who have this glitch then feel free to post this link to them if it's relevant. 

Here's the link:

How to Fix The Screensaver OS 11 Glitch -- 2022 -- Roku Community

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/11-0-0-screen-saver-crashing-mul...)

Hope this helps,

--Portalogem