Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erashemon
Reel Rookie

Ghost images on every app when video streams

I have a Roku ultra and, since about 2 weeks ago, I am experiencing ghost images during video playback. They appear is faint white ghosts of images or text offset from the original image or text.

This problem only occurs during video playback, there are no associated audio problems.

It occurs in every app that I use.

It does not occur in menus, neither the Roku menus or any app menus, unless there is video playback, like the preview mode for Netflix, and it when it does it only affects the video portion.

I have swapped out different HDMI cables, HDMI ports, and even TV's. The problem does not occur with other devices using the same cables, ports, and TV's.

No changes have been made to my internet connection, prior to the problem occurring.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ghost images on every app when video streams

@Erashemon 

I think you indicated this happens in Netflix. Any other apps? I don't use Netflix, but I can try some other apps, if it's one I use. Name two or three other apps where this happens.

I suspect it's not the source, and that I won't experience the same thing. I suspect it's something there, probably the Roku device, but troubleshooting would help determine that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mdsmas
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku ultra and, since about 2 weeks ago, I am experiencing ghost images during video playback. They appear is faint white ghosts of images or text offset from the original image or text.

0 Kudos
mdsmas
Reel Rookie

This problem only occurs during video playback, there are no associated audio problems.

It occurs in every app that I use.

It does not occur in menus, neither the Roku menus or any app menus, unless there is video playback, like the preview mode for Netflix, and it when it does it only affects the video portion.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mdsmas,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue?
Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
frederjay

I too am having an issue with "Ghosting" with my Roku Ultra. I have a new 4K Fire TV. When playing videos through my Roku the video begins to show the ghost images over a majority of the screen. If I exit the video and go to the menu screen, the ghost remains. The screen shadow is normally close to the same pattern of light and dark patches on the screen. I have noticed it when playing the Roku on Amazon Prime videos and on Roku videos.

When I then switch to the same programs on my Fire TV the ghosting does not appear no matter how long I watch on the TV. It indicates to me that the issue is the Roku Ultra. Cable changes don't make a difference. 

0 Kudos
KoruPlayer1
Reel Rookie

Same issue. Roku Ultra ghosting the Roku menu screen with app tiles. Shows up very clearly on a red background - if you install the CNET app, their splash screen is red and makes it obvious. I can even read some of the ghost tiles, like Netflix.

More weird, the ghost times don't seem to be from my Roku menu; the patterns don't match my tubes. 

LG OLED screen, if that matters. Been happening maybe 2 months (August 2022).

I have a clear screenshot on my phone but no quick way to upload. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@KoruPlayer1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing so we can better understand what you are seeing on screen?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Just had the same thing happen to me today (yesterday worked fine).  Tried different hdmi inputs and cable.  Still ghosting.  Other devices it’s fine so something up with the roku ultra itself.  

0 Kudos
KoruPlayer1
Reel Rookie

The images stand out best on a red background, so I paused on the CNET app splash screen below, but the ghosting occurs in other apps too like HBO MAX. Note "Netflix" pretty clearly above the "ET" and an image that looks like the play button in the YouTube icon below the "ET" and then you'll make out the rectangular outlines of all the other tiles.

Roku Ultra GhostingRoku Ultra Ghosting

0 Kudos