Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KRae99
Binge Watcher

Force closing apps or just go to home?

Jump to solution

Is there any reason to force close an app, either on a Roku TV or a Roku device, rather than just going to home and then another app?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Force closing apps or just go to home?

Jump to solution

@KRae99 

None that I have ever heard of.  I just press the Home button to close the channel/app and then launch the next.

I will say that I do notice on my RokuTV that it is sometimes a little sluggish/slow to respond when I merely press the Home button rather than backing out of a channel/app. 

On my Roku devices, though, I just use the Home button.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@KRae99 

None that I have ever heard of.  I just press the Home button to close the channel/app and then launch the next.

I will say that I do notice on my RokuTV that it is sometimes a little sluggish/slow to respond when I merely press the Home button rather than backing out of a channel/app. 

On my Roku devices, though, I just use the Home button.

0 Kudos
KRae99
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks.  It seems to make my roku tv a little sluggish too, although it's such a pain to back out of most apps, so I''ll live with sluggishness 🙂  Interestingly, I just bought a Roku ultra for a ten year old TV, and its responsiveness is almost instantaneous compared to my two year old Roku tv, even though both are ethernet wired (and two feet of cable to the Roku tv and over 20 feet to the ten year old TV and Roku device).

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@KRae99 

Exactly the reason why I only have one RokuTV and the rest of my setups use separate Roku devices.

I think mainly because the TV manufacturers use the bare memory resources needed to operate the TV.  (Just FYI, the RokuTVs currently available are built by others and just integrate/license the Roku OS into them).

Some users actually just attach the Roku devices (streaming stick, Express 4k+, Ultra) to an old/slow RokuTV in order to upgrade the performance.  In this setup, the Roku device will handle all the streaming needs and then the RokuTV is really just used for OTA/antenna usage.  Easiest way is just to assign the Roku device HDMI as the default input upon startup.  (Just a consideration for you if the sluggish TV response becomes too unbearable).

0 Kudos
KRae99
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I may consider that in the future, particularly if it would stop the Netflix app from self-closing every 15 minutes lately 🙂  

0 Kudos
April0414
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem when I'm watching Prime. It closes every 10 mins and goes back to the home screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @April0414 

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on Prime Video or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
April0414
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Prime is the only one that does this. I tried the system restart. I will remove and reinstall the app to see if that works. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@April0414 

Thanks for the reply.

Please make sure to restart the device first before reinstalling the channel back in. This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos