Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terryesh
Reel Rookie

Following Power Outages Roku Ultra restarts and turns on TV How to Avoid Behavior

Jump to solution

Our Roku Ultra is connected by HDMI to the TV. Following power outages, Roku restarts which also powers up the TV with Roku displaying. Should we be away for a period of time, it isn't ideal to have the TV on in our absence.

The voice remote is configured to control the TV. I tried to remove remote control of the TV, but there is no provision for that.

How do I resolve the problem of the TV being restarted? 

Thank you,

Terry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Following Power Outages Roku Ultra restarts and turns on TV How to Avoid Behavior

Jump to solution

When the Roku powers up, it will send a signal down the HDMI cord. Your TV is configured to look for that and react accordingly. It's doing just that.

Normally, when a Roku goes to sleep, it stays asleep until you wake it up with the remote. That would turn on your TV and change the input to the Roku's HDMI port.

To stop it, I'd suggest one of two things:

• Change the CEC settings on your TV to not awaken and respond to connected devices.
  • Get a uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for your TV and Roku. You can find them at Walmart for around $40.

I'm not sure of any other options at this time.

Oh, the remote doesn't figure into the mix for what you're encountering.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renojim

Re: Following Power Outages Roku Ultra restarts and turns on TV How to Avoid Behavior

Jump to solution

Try disabling "1-touch play" under Settings->System->Control other devices.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
terryesh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion. "1-touch play" was disabled. Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

When the Roku powers up, it will send a signal down the HDMI cord. Your TV is configured to look for that and react accordingly. It's doing just that.

Normally, when a Roku goes to sleep, it stays asleep until you wake it up with the remote. That would turn on your TV and change the input to the Roku's HDMI port.

To stop it, I'd suggest one of two things:

• Change the CEC settings on your TV to not awaken and respond to connected devices.
  • Get a uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for your TV and Roku. You can find them at Walmart for around $40.

I'm not sure of any other options at this time.

Oh, the remote doesn't figure into the mix for what you're encountering.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Trillium1

Jump to solution

Hi DBDukes, I'm also having this problem, but I can't figure out how to follow your instructions!  

Can you elaborate on, and how to do this:

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Trillium1 

That depends on your TV. Different manufacturers deploy the capabilities in different ways, and the instructions can vary from brand to brand, and even from model to model within the same brand. I'm simply able to provide the goal of the actions, but have no idea how your particular TV would implement it. It should be possible though.

DBDukes

0 Kudos