Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FaronK
Channel Surfer

Fast Forward and Rewind Issue - RokuTV and HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Jump to solution

When re-winding or fast-forwarding DVR recordings watched on the HDHomerun application on my Roku TV I get a blank (black) screen.  I do not see any of the re-wind or fast-forward controls on screen nor can I see the progress with re-wind or fast forward. Interestingly, re-wind and fast-forward seems to be working and does advance or go back to a previous portion of the recording. The issue is that its completely invisible to the person watching the TV. 

I am using the latest HDHomerun software on my PC where the DVR recordings are stored and the latest HDHomerun app on my Roku TV. I also have the latest firmware update on my HDHomerun extend. I'm unsure if the issue is with the Roku TV, HDHomerun app or both.  Is anyone else encountering this problem? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FaronK
Channel Surfer

Re: Fast Forward and Rewind Issue - RokuTV and HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Jump to solution

Thank you. You’re correct.

I reached out to Silicondust today and they provided the following response “At the moment this is a limitation of the Roku version of the HDHomeRun app, but our development team is looking into improving performance for a future version.”

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Progress when doing a FF or RW is something provided by the app itself.  If the developers at Silicon Dustl did not program this into their Roku-compatible version of their app, there's nothing Roku can do about it.

You probably will need to contact the HDHomerun folks about this:
https://www.silicondust.com/contact/

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
FaronK
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you. You’re correct.

I reached out to Silicondust today and they provided the following response “At the moment this is a limitation of the Roku version of the HDHomeRun app, but our development team is looking into improving performance for a future version.”

dlj54

Jump to solution

Thank you. We also would like to see the progress of fast forward or rewind. It is a guessing game as to when the commercial is over.  Firestick has a much better fast forward.

0 Kudos
FaronK
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sadly because of the many issues with the HD Homerun app for Roku TV  I’ve transition back to Emby Live TV and DVR which comes with its own problems. I’m pushing SiliconDust for an ETA on the fix. Also requested they transition to a grid-style guide for the Roku TV (As an aside the US version of Roku TV Live TV input comes with an excellent grid-style guide but here in Canada it’s a simple list of channels).  Wish Roku could push Silicondust to make these updates. It would be a win for Silicondust, win for Roku TV and most importantly a win for Roku TV cord-cutting users!

FaronK
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I got more info from SiliconDust today and it’s not good:

“The ability to see the progress when seeking is not a feature than can be implemented because the format Roku requires for them is not something the HDHomeRun can generate.

But a bit of good news on the guide issues:

Support for scheduling recordings and improvements to the guide are expected later this year.

- Silicondust Support

0 Kudos
KD4MNI
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's January 2023 and SiliconDust has finally released a completely new version of their Roku HDHomeRun app that is similar to the apps on the Amazon Fire, Android, iOS and MS Windows platforms but with reduced functionality. Hopefully it will be refined and upgraded/improved for the Roku community.

0 Kudos
tt4096

Jump to solution

It's the end of January, 2023 and fast forward and rewind with HDHomeRun is still unusable. This feature works perfectly and quickly on the HDHomeRun app for my $30 Google Chromecast. I paid over 3 times more for a Roku Ultra that sucks in comparison.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tt4096, Roku isn't interested in a channel/app that doesn't make them money.  Either SD is going to figure out what the problem is or nobody is.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rick82

Jump to solution

I found that the Amazon firetv stick 4k Fast Forward and Rewind works without problems.  Because ROKU won't fix the problem, they lost a viewer.

0 Kudos