Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soundchasr
Reel Rookie

Error: Your TV does not support HDR....

I have a Roku Ultra hooked up to a new Sony laser projector.   When I try to set up the Roku for 4k and HDR I'm getting a message that my "TV" doesn't support 4k or HDR.  

I know my projector and receiver both support HDR.  Further, if I use another device (Firestick) there aren't any issues.  

Is there some setting or update I need to get the Roku to support 4k properly? Or am I missing something?  Appreciate any help.  

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Error: Your TV does not support HDR....

Hi @Soundchasr

Welcome to Roku Community.

Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue with your Roku Ultra and the setup for 4K Ultra HD. I understand that you're receiving an error message stating that your TV does not support HDR.

I would like to suggest checking our Support page on How to set up your Roku® streaming player for 4K Ultra HD. This page provides detailed information and steps on how to properly set up your device for 4K Ultra HD, and it may be able to help resolve your issue. 

If after following the steps on the Support page and you're still encountering issues, don't hesitate to reach out to us again for further assistance.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Soundchasr are you certain your projector supports HDR? That's one thing I see still common in the forums I read, with so few projectors supporting HDR. What make and model do you have? Also, what is your make/model of AVR? Just because the AVR supports 4K doesn't mean it supports HDR. 

Also, when you test the Firestick, are you using the same connections, i.e. the Firestick is connected to the same HDMI port on your AVR using the same cable?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Soundchasr
Reel Rookie

Hi. 

I have a Sony vpl xw5000es projector. The receiver is a Denon x3200w.   

I haven't tried different HDMI inputs.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, I did web searches for both. Yes, the projector supports HDR. However, after searching numerous sites, including the Denon product page, the term HDR doesn't appear in any of them. That seems far too odd to simply be something that the reviewers overlooked. I did find it mentioned on one review, but it's really odd the Denon page makes no mention of it. 

I have a hunch your AVR isn't supporting it, and your Firestick is simply ignoring the lack of support. I know when I replaced my family room TV with an LG that supports Dolby Vision, I had to swap my two Yamaha AVRs because the one in the bedroom supported DV while the other only supported HDR. 

Beyond that, you might look in the Denon owners manual to see if there's a setting for the HDMI ports to enable High Color, UHD Color, or some other designation that might indicate HDR support. I have to do the same in my TVs, so perhaps the projector has it as well. Samsung calls it UHD Color, LG calls it HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, and other brands have different names. But they all need to be enabled to permit HDR/DV on the display. Otherwise the HDMI port doesn't have the speed capacity to support 4K/HDR content.

Dan

Soundchasr
Reel Rookie

Screenshot_20230210_204337_Chrome.jpg

It supports HDR.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, other than the suggestions I made about the HDMI port settings in the AVR and TV, I'm at a loss. I have no problems getting HDR on my Ultra and Premiere players. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Soundchasr
Reel Rookie

Thank you. I'll check out your other suggestions.  

0 Kudos