Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Re: Update 9.2 broke dolby digital

Jump to solution

Stick+ 3810X 9.2.0 4807-50

Samsung 65" 7 Series UN65RU7100FXZA

I first observed it a few nights ago, went to research and found this thread.  Wife watches more Netflix than I, but I remember watching before Christmas and it was fine and the Dolby Digital indicator would be on.  I think there have been some incremental upgrades to 9.2, so no idea which one it might be.  It might just be the Netflix app itself for all I know.  Like I said in my previous post, the built-in Netflix app on the TV passes the 5.1 DD signal from the DD+ across the optical.

I have never tried to connect the soundbar to the TV via ARC because the optical has always worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SmilingBob Thanks for the extra details. For further testing, it might be worth trying the HDMI ARC connection to see if this restores functionality. This may help pinpoint the issue you are running into and give us more information to work with. 

Do you know if your TV has received any software updates recently that may have also impacted this? 

I would recommend a couple additional things here: 

- Try reaching out to report this issue to Netflix support and see if they have any additional troubleshooting to offer. They can also help confirm the available audio formats for the specific content you are watching to ensure it offers DD+. 

- Generate an issue tracker report ID the next time this behavior occurs. Press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times. Feel free to send me a private message with that ID, as well as your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, and we can help take a closer look as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Reports are that the bar connected by HDMI will get no sound output at all from a DD+ source since it is a DD/DTS 5.1 only bar much like a Sonos Playbar, which is why I always connected by optical to let the TV pass the AC3 substream via optical.  New TVs automatically recognize that the optical can only output AC3 / DTS 5.1 only so pass this specifically.  The programs we watch all show "5.1" on the guide but output only stereo in the Netflix app.  I've verified previously watched programs that used to output 5.1 fine now only output stereo as well.  Like I stated, this appears to be a Netflix App problem, a Roku update problem, or maybe a combination.  The TV has gotten no updates.  I will also reach out to Netflix support and I will do as you ask with the tracker ID, thanks again.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

ScottCal = "Is there anyone on this forum with 9.2 who IS getting surround now through their AVR?"

Yes. I have a Roku Ultra (4670), and a Roku3 before that, as well as a relatively recent Denon AVR. I had many of the problems you and others are discussing here. I too thought it must be a Roku problem, but that did not turn out to be the case. I was never able to get 5.1 from Hulu on the Roku3 because as it turned out Hulu does not support that model (which is why I upgraded to the Ultra). Amazon, Netflix, and other services did not do 5.1 either; but in all those cases, the solution was for me to change my configuration (especially setting Roku options properly). Now I get 5.1 on everything. My experience is well documented in this and related threads in this forum.

0 Kudos
ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks. I have gone through the threads again—this must be the fourth time. I do not have Dolby Digital Plus on my receiver (the Premiere is plugged into one of the receiver's HDMI ports), only Dolby Digital and DTS. But, still, I do not get Dolby Digital 5.1 on the Roku channels, as has been said in these. 

If anyone has a moment, can you specifically tell me a movie or show on the Roku channel that has just Dolby Digital (and not Plus) for me to run through everything again?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

sgmfish, I know you weren't responding to me but I can tell you that there are those of us who have previously had no issues at all, with everything working perfectly, but at some point it stops working.  In my case, absolutely nothing has changed except for Roku firmware and app updates. Something broke 5.1 Dolby Digital audio for many of us who had everything working perfectly in the past.  The mystery is what.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't know if this idea is appealing to you, but you could rent a DTS movie from VUDU or elsewhere to test DTS thru your configuration.

In terms of DD (not Plus) on the Roku Channel....as far as I can see, it looks like everything, or nearly everything, is DD (not Plus). Here's one I just tested....Homeland S1E1 (which is one of the "play for free" samples). I just checked it out on my AVR...and it is definitely DD (not Plus).

Nearly everything I stream is DD+; maybe you need a new AVR.

0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

As indicated in all my previous posts, I get Dolby Digital through every single app on my Roku, except Netflix.  Prime Video, Roku Channel, Plex, etc.  They all work terrific.  It is only Netflix that has gone rogue, which is what this thread seems to be all about from various users.  For reference, I get 5.1 Dolby Digital with no issues when using my Samsung TV Netflix app.  Roku is a no go.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

SmilingBob = "....but I can tell you that there are those of us who have previously had no issues at all"

I don't doubt you. All I am saying is that whether or not 9.2 is a problem, 9.2 can be made to work with the proper configuration. There are also "those of us" who once thought 9.2 was the problem, but have since gotten everything to work once we set up things correctly (or possibly upgraded some component). Then of course, there is also the apps.....those vendors are always changing things too, and you wouldn't even know it happened.

P.S. I'll grant you one thing: the whole area is complex....more complex and less user friendly than it "ought" to be.

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

SmilingBob = "As indicated in all my previous posts, I get Dolby Digital through every single app on my Roku, except Netflix. Prime Video, Roku Channel, Plex, etc."

That's not what I see. Prime is definitively DD+ (not standard DD) using the Amazon app on my Roku. Indeed, almost everything I stream on the Roku is DD+ (or maybe DTS for movies). The only streaming service I see these days doing standard DD (not Plus) is the Roku Channel. There may be other streaming apps that use standard DD, but I never run into them.

0 Kudos