Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dolby Digital/ 5.1 surround sound audio

@dylanthomasfan that's the best way to do it. The post above mine said it was connected to the TV, which sends the audio back to the AVR.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
55trucker
Binge Watcher

@dylanthomasfan wrote:

My roku goes to the AVR first, not the TV.

As does mine......had no idea the TV speakers being *on* would upset the ARC between the TV & the AVR

0 Kudos
atc98092

My experience with ARC is it's simply another audio output option, and when one option is enabled the others are disabled. If you're using TV speakers for sound, the optical out and ARC are turned off. 

Dan

0 Kudos
sunkwok

Thank you very much.  I spent hours trying different things to get the 5.1 surround working.  I followed your advice and turn off sound leveling and now I have 5.1 on Roku.

0 Kudos
sunkwok

I spent hours trying to fix the 5.1 surround and the problem was fixed by turning off sound leveling.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

The 4640 has a Dolby digital encoder, so it is capable of converting DD+ to DD. That's why you get 5.1 without a problem. The 4660 and 4670 don't have the encoder. The latest 4800 does, but Roku dropped the optical output some time ago. The 4640 is your only option for 5.1 without a supporting AVR with HDMI ports. 

I've had, for a number of years, a family member using an HDMI-to-optical audio extractor with an old Roku Express and their old DD receiver. This worked just fine to pass a DD signal from the Roku's HDMI output to the receiver's optical input. This obviously stopped working properly when the streaming services started using DD+.

We might eventually upgrade their receiver, but in the meantime, I don't want to get a used 4640X, as the 4800R has more future compatibility with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

I wonder if a 4800R would, for the time being, plug right in to the HDMI audio extractor and transcode the DD+ to DD properly?

I already know that there should be no technical limitation with the HDMI audio extractor part of the chain, because I just tested an onn. Android TV with it, and it can transcode DD+ to DD as long as it's configured properly -- so, the only question is if a 4800R would also play nice with it?

Is the latest model to do DD+ to DD transcoding the 4800R (2020 Ultra), or will the brand new 4802R also do it?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mmortal03 I'm pretty sure the 4800 will do what you want. I have mine connected to an AVR that supports all the codecs, so I've never messed with an HDMI audio extractor. I'm currently watching something, so I can't check the settings menu at this time. But I believe you can set the output manually to DD. 

Dan

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@mmortal03 

As @atc98092 stated, the 4800 will work as it does have a Dolby decoder and can transcode/convert DD+ to DD for output.

1) In the case that your HDMI > Optical converter provides an EDID, make sure its set for DD to force the 4800's Dolby decoder to activate, and configure Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Passthrough (not Auto, which will transcode/convert all non-DTS output to DD); it'll detect DD-only support, present DD+ to apps, and convert DD+ output to DD.

2) In the case that your HDMI > Optical converter does not provide an EDID, to activate the 4800's Dolby decoder you'll need to configure Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Custom/Dolby = Dolby Digital; it'll detect DD-only support, present DD+ to apps, and convert DD+ output to DD.

3) The 4802 is a 4800 bundled with a Voice Remote Pro, so the above applies.

I had such horrid 5.1 issues with any of my Roku's I finally had to resort to going to a Firestick and Voila! Instant 5.1 audio. I have many Roku's including the high end square type (the name escapes me presently I'm sorry) as well as a new 4K model and many more. I could Not get 5.1 with any of them period, wasn't going to happen. The run of the mill Firestick worked instantly in the same exact situation. Go figure. I mean I tried different AVR's different everything under the sun and 5.1 wasn't going to happen period. I actually prefer my Roku's to the Firestick but not in my backroom where 5.1 is highly desired and it wasn't going to happen with a Roku. Why is beyond me, but at this point I don't care, I won't try and get 5.1 out of a Roku again.

0 Kudos
jobobhowdy
Reel Rookie

Re: Can only output LPCM audio regardless of setting selection

Today I verified again that I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Plex from my AppleTV 4K and from my older Sony BluRay player.  My various Roku units now do not even present Dolby Digital from Plex.  I have repeatedly adjusted the settings to force DD and to auto select, but still nothing but stereo.  Are there any Roku units that will play Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.  I have always been a promoter of Roku because they worked so well. Not what is happening, but they just aren’t working for me any more. I want to watch my movies and shows in 5.1 not in stereo. Just really need some help.

0 Kudos