Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Crackling on Roku 3 device

@acorn6666

Thanks for the post.

It looks like you our in touch with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them regarding the issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mokat
Binge Watcher

Did you ever receive a response and fix for this problem?  I'm experiencing interminent crackling sounds using a Ultra LT that I just purchased in January.  Started up about a month ago once in awhile and now is a daily occurance. 

The noise is when I'm watching shows and seems to happen more when intense-loud background audio is used - like in action or thriller scene.  Googling, it seems this is a common problem and I've tried all the tricks others have suggested and none worked for long.  Such as switch to volume off and audio mode to stereo.  I have a second Ultra LT I bought in May and no problems with it yet.  But that one is in a bedroom and not used heavily as the problem one in the livingroom.

0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Hi Mokat,

Sorry to hear that you've joined the club. I'm afraid at the end of many many weeks interacting with Support, the result was disappointing. The three solutions that were provided: factory reset, replace with new HDMI cable and change HDMI port did not work. A regular reboot would last 2-3 days before crackling resumed. If I use the earphones plugged into the remote and mute TV sound, then naturally there's no crackling to hear.

At the end, they said my Roku was an antique (true from 2014, so I did get good mileage out of it) and not repairable, so they offered a 30% discount towards buying a new one on their website. Instead, I recently bought new Ultra LT from Walmart online at lower price, holiday sale $30, but I haven't set it up yet since I use the earphones most of the time in order not to disturb my wife who is doing other stuff.

I speculate that something in the device wears out over time and they don't wish to admit to that to avoid being flooded with replacement requests.

Why don't you put the new one in your living room and move old one to bedroom?

0 Kudos
Mokat
Binge Watcher

Moving the newer non-screeching one to livingroom is prolly what I'll do.  So, I guess at this rate I count on about 10 months of it working properly.  Believe your theory of why this is happening.  I've read lots of complaints about this in regards to their soundbar too.  Which I'm glad I read, because I was considering buying one.  I'm retired and with the current state of world (covid), I've been watching TV more than the average person.  Might be why my Ultra LT started acting up so soon.  Thanks for replying.  I was hoping you had success.  

0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Hey Mokat,

Hope you've been well. I wanted to update you that I'm still using my old Roku and never opened the new box because the crackling mysteriously disappeared some months ago. I suspect Roku finally figured out how to fix and updated the device software. How about you? Did crackling go away?

0 Kudos