Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StAugustine
Reel Rookie

Captions gray, reboots itself

I have a Model 3910X that is s couple of years old with the following problems that started within the last week watching Netflix:

(1) The closed captions are light gray and unreadable

(2) When starting a show on Netflix the SKIP INTRO box does not appear

(3) After starting a show the remote will not function. Cannot pause, FF, rewind

(4) While watching the program, the playback will stop and then go back to the Roku main screen. I then select Netflix and go back to the program. All functions will then work and the CC returns to white text.

If during the program I pull the power from the Roku device, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in all functions will work and the CC returns to white text.

This has been going on for a week now. I also noticed that the device is very hot to the touch and in the TV input selector on my Samsung TV the device now shows up as EXPRESS + instead of ROKU.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Captions gray, reboots itself

Hi @StAugustine

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Do all the issues you mentioned only happen on Netflix or across other channels installed on your Roku device? 

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then reinstall it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StAugustine
Reel Rookie

Removed Netflix app, restarted, Added Netflix back. Seems to be working fine now.

Thank you!

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@StAugustine-

Thanks for reporting back.  I wish more people did that.

Put the remove/restart/reinstall process in your bag of Roku tricks.  It's the first thing to try when a channel starts acting up on you

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.