Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hinrggirl
Reel Rookie

Brand new roku broken after update

I just bought a brand new roku. I open the box, read the instructions, and set it up. It comes on fine, then says “must update before setup” so I click okay. It updates, then the screen goes black and the “no signal” sign pops up on my tv. I have tried everything. Unplugging and replugging it after 10 seconds, taking batteries out of the remote and putting them back in, and even tried to do a factory reset but the little white light never flashes. At one point it looked like it was going to come back on but of course, the screen went black again and I got the no signal sign again. Now my brand new roku is essentially a brick, and I’m pissed.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Brand new roku broken after update

Hi @Hinrggirl

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hinrggirl
Reel Rookie

I had it plugged into the wall with the cable and then I tried plugging it into the USB port on the tv, but it wouldn’t turn back on. I tried it with all of the HDMI ports on my tv and it still wouldn’t turn back on. I don’t have another tv to plug it into.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hinrggirl,

Thanks for following up.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku device after following these steps, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hinrggirl
Reel Rookie

S08Y424S00R6

Yes my roku still won’t work. I plugged it in again and it came on but once again it said must update and of course it broke it again.  If I could just opt out of the update it would probably be fine but it won’t let me. It forces me to update and the update breaks it.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hinrggirl,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos