Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikemags

Brand new Streaming Stick 4k - playback issues

We purchased a new Roku 4k streaming stick last week to replace our older version. Ever since then, we constantly have issues with playback across all of our apps. I have to restart the device to resolve the issue, multiple times a night. I have performed a factory reset, uninstalled/reinstalled all apps, updated all software, cleared cache, etc, but nothing permanantly resolves the issue. The issue is not present when using our old Roku streaming stick. Our internet is very fast and reliable, and the connection on the new stick is good. Please advise, as we are ready to send the stick back to Amazon and switch to a different streaming device. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Brand new Streaming Stick 4k - playback issues

Hi @mikemags

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

Do you get an error message when you try to access the channels installed on your Roku device? Could you tell us how your Roku device is powered? Is it plugged into the TV's USB port or a power outlet? In some instances, the TV's USB power is insufficient to power the device. Running your Roku device with insufficient power can result in instability, crashes, and other unpredictable behavior, even if it appears to be operating normally. 

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Warm Regards, 
Lianna

0 Kudos
Meeshd333

I’ve had the same trouble. My previous Roku streaming stick worked seamlessly.  Unfortunately it broke during a move so to continue using a Roku streaming stick I had to get the new model and have had nothing but issues since then. It constantly freezes, reboots and says there’s a connection issue or no WiFi when the WiFi is fine. The router is maybe 2 feet max from the roku and during down times I’ve tested a smart tv in another room along with an even further away chromecast device with no issues. To be sure the signal wasn’t getting bogged down I went as far as unplugging/powering down all WiFi devices, factory reboot the Roku and yet still had issues. It’s beyond frustrating to be told by Roku employees that it’s WiFi when that’s very clearly NOT the case.  Dim curious if this ever got resolved. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Meeshd333,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. If resetting your router does not improve your connection, the issue may be the strength of the wireless signal. Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code tips to help improve your wireless signal.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot to isolate the issue.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos