Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrenn

Bouncing ROKU letters tried everything can't get rid of it

I have had my roku express 4k for less than a week. I turned it on this morning and it is giving me the bouncing ROKU letters. I have tried everything that I could think of and everything online and it is still not working.  Does anyone else have suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Bouncing ROKU letters tried everything can't get rid of it

Hi @mrenn,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mrenn

Hi Mary,

I was powering it through my surge protector but then I read that may be the problem too. I disconnected it and plugged it back in to the main outlet on my wall. I only have one tv in my apartment so I can not try to reproduce the problem on another device. 

I have tried unplugging the device and letting it sit for up to 5 minutes, nothing. I have disconnected it from my cable box and let it sit, nothing. I have restarted the roku on back of the device and nothing. I replaced the batteries in my remote, nothing. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mrenn,

Thanks for following up.

Have you tried rebooting your wireless network and then restarting your Roku device to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PRczar
Reel Rookie

I am having this same issue. Did a factory reset, changed HDMI port, plugged into USB port for power. It’ll go into the Home Screen for about 5 seconds before returning to the bouncing. ROKU letters. SUPER ANNOYING!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @PRczar

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. 

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PRczar
Reel Rookie

I plugged the Roku unit into the wall outlet and it made no difference. I even reset the system (again, for the 4th time) and still it's not functioning properly. Sometimes the bouncing ROKU letters to the home screen but then it only stays on for a second or two and goes back to the ROKU letters. I can only assume that this unit is done, and it's not even that old. What is the warranty on this?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@PRczar

Thanks for the reply. 

Roku devices have 1-year warranty starting from the day it was first linked to a Roku account. But, we'd love to help you with this. Before we proceed, could you try unplugging your router first, then boot up your Roku device? Once it's up, replug your router. Make sure to troubleshoot in this order. 

If still no dice, please reply here with the serial number of the affected device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos