Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Black screen and no sound issue

Jump to solution

Same problem on all my channels,  the player only show black screen no sound. Got the new update 2 hours ago.

Model: Express 4k, 3940CA

Software:11.0.0 build 4173-CR

Device ID: S07S5131EY0F

Thanks 

Sorry, after reading back all posts, It looks like I have a different problem.  I can install channel and

run them. But I get no picture or sound on any channel when trying to play a video.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Re: OS 11.0.0, build 4173CA, broke closed captions and surround sound.

Jump to solution

The AVR is an Onkyo TX-RZ630. The TV is a Samsung UN75NU8000.

I have found the cause of the problem with the surround sound. (The volume leveling was on). I probably did that by mistake while trying to find the cc problem. The closed captions came back for most of the channels after a few reboots. Only 1 channel (Tablo tv pvr) didn't have cc. This was corrected with a factory reset of the Roku. 

Now for the last 24 hours, everything seems to work fine. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Still don't understand why the Roku would output in 720p after a reboot?

Thank you. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Black screen and no sound issue

Jump to solution

Hi @Koss67,

Saw your post! 

I understand that you are having an issue with any of the streaming channels and only showing a black screen, is that correct?

Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem. Please include the following information:
1. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
2. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?
3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

OS 11.0.0, build 4173CA, broke closed captions and surround sound.

Jump to solution

Hi, I have received a new OS last night (11.0.0, build 4173CA). Since that, I can no longer have closed caption or surround sound.  Only getting pcm 2.0 on all channels tested (Netflix, Prime, F1TV and Tablo TV). I have done many reboots and restarts. Also when doing a reboot(disconnecting usb power) roku is only showing in 720P, even if it is setup at 4k. I have to change the resolution to any other setting (ex: 1080p) and reset it back to 4k to get it to work. I have tried every setting in audio (auto, dolby, stereo and custom) nothing work. Also tried to reset the closed captions on and off still not working. Now I can't watch any recorded show on my Tablo Tv PVR since all tv show have been recorded in surround and Tablo won't start a show if it can't detect surround setting. 

Please help, can I go back  to the previous OS build? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Re: Black screen and no sound issue

Jump to solution

Hi Mary,

I have corected the black screen by setting the display to 1080p and setting it back to 4k. But if I do a reboot (unplugging the usb power) the Roku is only showing a 720p picture on my Onkyo receiver and Samsung tv. Then I have to do the resetting of the display again. Note that the Roku setting is still set to 4k after rebooting but only ouput 720p. I have previously set the display type in the secret menu to not automatically change. As for the sound, it came back after some reboot but only in PCM 2.0. Can't get it to output any surround sound on any setting. I have just send a new post describing my problems. Also note that closed captions no longer work on all channels. 

Will it be possible to go back to the previous OS build number? Since it was working find.

Thanks. Koss67.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Koss67,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

In regards to your current audio issue, kindly provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model: Express 4k 3940CA

Serial#: X01600G1EY0F

Divevice id: S07S5131EY0F

Software version: 11.0.0 duild 4173-CR 

Tracker id: 0f-149-567

Step: when trying to play any video, I have no closed captions and no surround sound, only pcm 2.0. Thanks.

Koss67

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Koss67,

Thanks for following up.

In addition to the recently requested information, can you please provide the make and model of your AVR and TV? This additional information may be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The AVR is an Onkyo TX-RZ630. The TV is a Samsung UN75NU8000.

I have found the cause of the problem with the surround sound. (The volume leveling was on). I probably did that by mistake while trying to find the cc problem. The closed captions came back for most of the channels after a few reboots. Only 1 channel (Tablo tv pvr) didn't have cc. This was corrected with a factory reset of the Roku. 

Now for the last 24 hours, everything seems to work fine. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Still don't understand why the Roku would output in 720p after a reboot?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Tehut

Jump to solution

How do You reset a Roku with only a black TV screen? Also when I cut the power on the TV, the power indicator light is blue (normal), however when I press any button on the TV or TV remote. The power indicator light strobes red and blue and nothing else.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Tehut

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? 

For more information about how to factory reset your Roku device, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your Roku

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you futher.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos