Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMSimons
Reel Rookie

BEYOND FRUSTRATED! Fairly new Roku 4K+ not working

Hi! I have the Roku Express 4K+, and purchased it back in April. This morning I went to turn it on and my TV wouldn't recognize it. I unplugged the Roku from the power and HDMI cable and even tried resetting for 30 seconds as they suggest. Nothing. We have another Roku Express 4K+ and we tried it on the same cables and TV and it works perfectly. When I could get the other one to work, it would just sit at the dancing ROKU welcome screen. I hate when a company doesn't provide a direct link to contacting support. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: BEYOND FRUSTRATED! Fairly new Roku 4K+ not working

The first thing we have to ask is are you using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@KMSimons 

Work with @renojim on his questions and suggestions. But from your initial description, it does sound as if the device may be bad. If Jim's test confirm that to be the case, use the Roku Returns page.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
KMSimons
Reel Rookie

Hi @renojim . 

Yes, I am using the cable that came with the equipment. The fact that I plugged in another identical Roku and have zero issues shows there is something wrong with the unit in question. 

Thank you for your help! 

M. Simons! 

0 Kudos
renojim

You mention the cable, but you still don't say if you're using the supplied power adapter or the TV's USB port.  If you're using the supplied power adapter and no light comes on when you connect the USB cable then it's probably time to explore a warranty return.

Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

KMSimons
Reel Rookie

Hi @renojim

I am using the supplied power adapter and the TV's USB cable. A light does come on at the front and I get the dancing ROKU screen and it never goes any further than that. I try the SAME model (I have several of these units) and it works perfectly with the SAME cables, same USB port. 

KMSimons 

0 Kudos
renojim

Not that it matters, but I think you're confusing USB and HDMI.  It sounds like you do have it connected properly, but just to clarify you should have the USB power adapter plugged into a 120V outlet, a USB cable from the power adapter to the Roku, and an HDMI cable from the Roku to the TV.

It's probably time to go down the warranty return path:
Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@KMSimons

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos