Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skincle
Reel Rookie

BBC iPlayer keeps freezing after watching for a few mins

I know it's a problem with Roku as if I watch iPlayer on my TV it doesn't happen. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer keeps freezing after watching for a few mins

Hi @skincle

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on BBC iPlayer or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected BBC iPlayer channel and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@skincle wrote:

I know it's a problem with Roku as if I watch iPlayer on my TV it doesn't happen. 

May I suggest a minor update to your post?

"I know it's a problem with the Roku-compatible version of BBC's iPLayer that BBS supplied to Roku as if I watch the version of iPlayer that BBS provided for my TV it doesn't happen."

Any streaming service (i.e. BBC or whoever) will have to create and maintain separate versions of its app for each of the various platforms (Roku, Firestick, android, iOS, TV brand, etc.) on which it will be expected to run. Each platform may require a different interface and may offer different features and controls than the other, so each platform's version of the app has to be programmed separately.  Depending on how good any given streaming service's programmers (and their testers) are, it is not unusual at all for there to be problems on one platform system that do not exist on another.   For the most part, these must be corrected by the developers of the particular streaming channel not by the platforms on which they are being run.

What you can do at your end is:

• Make sure you have a clean installation of the latest version of the channel app loaded to your device.  This is generally accomplished by:
    1. Uninstalling the channel app.
    2. Restarting your device to clear out its memory cache.  This step is very important, so don't skip it.
    3. Reinstalling the channel app.
    If the problem continues, you'll at least know you've got the latest version of the app.

• If the problem persists with a clean installation of the app's current version:
    1. Contact the streaming service with as much detail as you can provide. Explain what is or isn't happening and exactly what you see on the screen. Remember, they aren't looking over your shoulder and can't see what's going on -- they'll only know what you tell them.  It helps if you can give them your Roku Model Name and Model Number and your Roku operating system version (all found via Settings > System > About), plus the version number of the channel app (highlight the app in the Roku channel grid and press the * key on your Roku remote).
    2. Until the problem is fixed, periodically repeat the Uninstall/Restart/Reinstall process mentioned above to be sure you catch any app revisions as soon as possible.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
skincle
Reel Rookie

I have done all of the things you suggested and it's still freezing. You say that it's my responsibility to contact the BBC and the BBC's responsibility to make a working app, but surely Roku shouldn't sell a product which they claim can be used to watch the iPlayer when it actually can't be?

0 Kudos
Pontyrebel

I have had this issue have deleted channel off Roku and reinstalled even factory reset my Roku still happening it definitely a issue with just iPlayer as when I watch on Xbox it's fine been happy with my Roku but seems to be a continuous ongoing issue may have to get a Amazon firestick instead

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @Pontyrebel

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the BBC iPlayer channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting BBC iPlayer support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos