Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sherrym
Reel Rookie

Re: Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

The same thing happens to me. Sometimes when I turn my Roku Ultra on I go to the Home Screen and click on YouTube tv and it makes the YouTube intro sound but when I click on a show there’s no sound on any of them. I have to unplug it and restart. My Ultra is only a few months old and I have 2 other lesser models and this has never happened to them.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’ve only seen this on the 4800 Ultra, and it has nothing to do with age. It is also possible it’s a YouTube TV app issue.

When it happens again, hit home then rapidly hit home 5x followed by back 5x. Take a photo of the screen and post it here.

You don’t have to unplug. Just go to Settings > System > Power > Restart

0 Kudos
ukcats
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm sorry you all are having this issue, but at least I'm not alone. I just got my Roku Ultra a month ago and have been having the same issue. I normally watch YouTube TV, so I thought pausing anywhere would cause it until I saw this post. Like you all, the menu still makes noises. When the sound was out, I opened Netflix, and it made that annoying sound when the logo displays. I thought the issue was just isolated to YouTube TV, but then I tried to play something on Netflix, no sound. I've tried everything I could find in other posts. I have no external speakers/sound bar on this TV. I tried just unplugging it from the TV. I even bought a new HDMI cable. I've checked all of my audio settings. Only rebooting fixes it. I know it's not the TV. The Google Chromecast that I was using still works great. I thought was getting a better device. It's a month hold and I'm ready to return it and go back to my Chromecast. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to try the power setting you all recommended. Can we get an ETA on this fix?

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It’s a firmware issue. Easily worked around by not leaving an open app paused so long. Chromecast isn’t even comparable…

Next time it happens, hit home, then home 5x then back 5x and post here a photo of the box on your screen.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!
We are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.
In the meantime, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Dogsivu
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exactly - to press any other button will just take you "home" where you get to start all over 

0 Kudos
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I thought I posted this a couple of days ago but must have not clicked post.

-Roku device model - 4800RW

-serial number - X010002VT06K

-device ID - S02C21DVT06K

-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) - 11.0.0 build 4193-C2

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
When the issue occurs all apps (YouTube TV, Netflix, Pandora, Prime Video, Amazon Music) do not have sound for video or audio streams. Roku menu sounds still work and start up sounds for some apps still work. The problem seems to occur for me when I am watching YouTube TV and pause it and then click the remote power button. If I come back hours later and click the power button again, the screen saver (aquarium) is on. Trying to navigate to various apps is really slow and the audio (except for menu and startup sounds) does not work. Rebooting the device is the only thing that will temporarily fix the issue. YouTube TV version is 2.22 build 105005546

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
6K-236-081

-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
There is not an error message. The system is really slow and audio does not work for any app.

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Watch something on YouTube TV and click pause on the remote. Click the power button on the remote. Come back 3 or 4 hours later and click the power button again. Try to use any app and there may not be any sound. This problem does not occur all the time. Sometimes it is daily and other times it will go a week with no issues.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jaybfl,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll share these details with the appropriate team for further review and investigation. We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

We appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Cindy19
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm also having an issue loosing audio after pausing and the only thing that fixes it is rebooting.It happened twice today.This is so frustrating.I googled this an it said that the Roku Ultr 4k is known to do this.Is there any permanent fix for this? 

0 Kudos
Cindy19
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When pausing for any amount of time and un pausing my Roku ultra 2021 looses audio and the only thing that fixes it is to reboot.Thanks Cindy19

0 Kudos