Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

@Quadruplex Roku players do not support 1080i. If your TV doesn't support 1080p, then 720p is the highest resolution a Roku can use on your TV. I just looked up your TV, and confirmed it does not support 1080p.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Quadruplex
Reel Rookie

Well, that is odd, because it detected the display as 1080i and seemed happy with it...the test screen it displayed after auto-detecting 1080i looked fine.  I had also tried manually setting the Roku to 720p and I had the same problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yeah, I've encountered some hotel TVs that the specs only show 1080i support (as yours does), but the Roku connected at a reported 1080p. My guess is either the TV could accept the 1080p signal and interlace it internally for the display, or it was really only outputing 720p, regardless of what the Roku was saying. But that's been quite a while since I've seen that, since most hotels have finally upgraded their hardware to 1080p TVs. Unfortunately, your set is pretty old, so is lacking 1080p support. Many of the early HDMI equipped TVs were like that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Quadruplex
Reel Rookie

Did a little more research, and decided to buy a 1080P HDMI to component converter that can output different resolutions.  The reviews on Amazon have several people who are having the same issue as I am with older displays and tvs that can't handle 1080P and HDCP.  Seems to work just fine in those cases.

We shall see!

0 Kudos
McOsker
Reel Rookie

Roku device model 3941X - Roku Express  4K+

device ID SO7P515E8W8E

software OS/version 10.5.0 build 4208-CR

I have replaced hdmi cord, unplugged device and TV, I have switched TV's, reset my wifi, nothing makes HDCP error so go away.

0 Kudos
Quadruplex
Reel Rookie

That HDMI to component converter totally fixed my issue.....works perfectly now with output set to 1080i.

0 Kudos
McOsker
Reel Rookie

This issue just started, we have had this device since October 2021 and it is on auto detect and set at 720p.  I have had to disconnect and plug back in the HDMI cord a couple times because the same error code came up but unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Ptderosa16

Model 4800x roku ultra

software version 10.5.0 build 4208-c2

unplug the hdmi and roku then plug them back in. Happened the first time I plugged it in and several other times now. Very annoying and frustrating that I have to continually redo these steps to watch tv

0 Kudos
ToddBonny

SN: S07P216ELDN

Model: 3941X

0 Kudos

Yes we are seeing HDCP error and the screen is flashing. Model 3931RW Roku Express+

SN - X00400EV9E2S

Device ID - S012305V9E2S

0 Kudos