Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbky40146
Channel Surfer

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

Roku Ultra -4800x

1080p

It has quit working altogether now .It just shows no signal. Ive changed  cables ,tried different ports nothing works..

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

This might be a silly question, but is the unit getting power?  

0 Kudos
dbky40146
Channel Surfer

Yeah it has power.

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Sounds like it's dead then.  I have both the Roku and an Amazon Fire Cube.  There are advantages to each of them.  My wife finds the Roku a bit easier to navigate, but I spend most of my time with the Cube.  Roku decided my device was defective, so they sent a new one.  It still gets the error, but usually about once a month.  The other device was getting it every 30 minutes or so. If your device is completely dead, and it's out of warranty, I guess you're stuck buying another streaming device.  We have a smart TV, which seems to have everything available that's on Roku, but it's interface is a bit irritating.  You can also plug a PC into the TV, and get practically anything you want.  I've watched Netflix, Amazon, CBS, etc, on the PC.  I actually started streaming before streaming devices were around, by doing it with the PC.  If you're used to Roku, it'll take a bit of adjustment to adapt to the Fire Cube, but it just plain works, and always has worked.  That's a very pleasant change from senile Roku devices.  

I do have a Roku stick plugged into my PC monitor, and it's not having problems, although it did give the HDCP error, which isn't possible because it does not use any HDMI cables.  It only gave the error once, and has been working fine since. They cost around $30.00, I think.  Mine came as a part of combination deal, the 4800 and the stick together.  

0 Kudos
greggtsorders
Reel Rookie

2 brand new Roku 4K sticks.  Every time the TV is off for an extended period of time, when I go back to watch, i get the HDCP error.  One tv is on the wall so the generic "unplug and re-plug" fixes aren't that easy to do.  Trying to 86 the DTA's I had from Xfinity but hard to do when they worked all the time and the sticks are requiring a PHD in electronics to watch an app.  did i mention the 4K sticks are BRAND NEW?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@greggtsorders

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried connecting the Roku Streaming Sticks with an extender to see if that helps resolve the issue you are experiencing? You can order your free HDMI extender through our Support page.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pfb

I do not know specific info on my roku.  I just know Hdcp error occurred in the middle of the movie & we have had no sound since.  I have tried every fix suggested including purchasing new cables.  Very frustrated!

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Follow the link.  All you need is the serial number on the back of the stick itself.  

0 Kudos
greggtsorders
Reel Rookie

I can’t take credit for this but someone else posted a fix of disabling the auto off feature in the Roku stick settings and once I did that, the 2 TVs that kept getting the error are working fine. No errors. Tv turns off with power button and when I power up, the Roku screen saver is on and can connect to all my streaming apps. 

glr2472
Channel Surfer

I purchased the Roku Ultra LT a week ago and now getting the HDCP error 020 almost every other day. I followed the Roku suggestions of unplugging all the cables, restarting the device and plugging the cables in again and it works for a short while. I found that simply restarting the Roku device also works without having to unplug all the cables. I also tried a different HDMI cable and same issue.

I don't know what the issue is, obviously there is something wrong with the Roku device since my Blu-ray player has no issues or the Nintendo Switch. I wish Roku would make a decent product but they don't, their suggestion is to purchase their newest player and hope for the best.

0 Kudos