Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim16
Binge Watcher

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

Device Model - 3820RW Streaming Stick 4K

Device ID - S09041CTVIA7

Software Version 11.00 - Build 4193-CU

This is an intermittent problem. I bought this stick about a month ago. Initially seemed okay. Then I started to see the HDCP 020 Error page when I tried to watch TV. I tried every fix I could find online including changing Auto adjust Display Frame rate to "Off" and setting it to 1080P. In settings it shows 1080P HDCP 1.4. It's an old TV.  It'll play fine for a couple of days with no problem. Then all of a sudden, I go to YouTube TV, or some other app, pick a program, it starts to play, and then I get the screen. The only thing that fixes it, is if I pull the stick out of the HDMI and plug it back in, it fixes the problem. But it's to the point where I have to do that almost every time I watch TV. It'll be fine for a day or two, then I see the screen again.

That's not right. Is this something that can be solved with a software update? I'm not going to go out and buy a new TV. It's very annoying. I've also tried switching HDMI inputs. That doesn't work either.

There's nothing wrong with the TV. If you need a new TV to make the stick work, you should put it in writing somewhere on the box. I would never have bought this product if I had known.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tim16,

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are receiving an HDCP error.

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team for further investigation.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Tim16 go into the power settings menu and turn power saver off. This has resolved the issue for most people. Yes, it's something that can be resolved with a software update, and I'm certain Roku is trying to fix it. The Tracker ID that you were asked to provide is of great assistance for their developers, so please do try to get that for them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tim16
Binge Watcher

Thanks, I'll try it and get the code the next time it happens.

0 Kudos
lidellsassi
Reel Rookie

We are getting this HDCP error. It started a few months ago. It only happens when we try to watch something on Netflix. 
our device info is:

Model#: 4800x

DeviceID: SO2A214JAKJT

Software: 11.0.0 build 4193-C2

0 Kudos
MOUNTAINMAN2000
Reel Rookie

nothing is helping...can't get anything but youtube...getting very tired of this

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MOUNTAINMAN2000

Thanks for the post.

It doesn't look like you've provided you Roku device information. Can you please provide us with the requested information and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RoseAnnMcK
Binge Watcher

I should have to provide my information since this seems to be a firm ware problem. 

I have been watch my emails on this and see the people that give you their information. then I see that they are still having the problem. Only if you can guarantee that giving this information will fix the problem, I already wasted money on buying new HDMI cables, I will give the information. I will not do so if you once again suggest to purchase the stuff to fix it myself. 

Please let me know when a firmware update is scheduled. I will then turn on my Roku. It has been well over a year since I have had this issue. 

Love God and Country
0 Kudos
Brandydm1
Reel Rookie

Every single day. I’m getting so tired of resetting/unplugging that I just want to return it and use a different device. 
I’ve been researching this and tried all the “hacks” with settings and nothing  has helped. Can we get a softwares update to fix??

We’ve had this issue for every day for the last month. It’s a brand new unit. 

Model
3820X - Streaming Stick 4K
Serial number
X01700CUCJJU
Software version
11.00 • build 4193-CU
Uptime
9 hours 39 minutes
Roku support
Device ID
roku.com/support
S08Y 422UCJJU

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RoseAnnMcK,

Saw your post!

If this issue is not resolved with HDCP error, please help us with additional information provided below that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem.
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what do you see on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos