Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Omnis-Ra
Reel Rookie

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

I got around the problem for now. I have another tv I hooked the Roku up to. I usually use my 54 inch which was having the problems working after the update, but it works fine with no problems on my 42 inch

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @fox3 @dbky40146,

Saw your post!

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RichardSwe
Reel Rookie

I have two Roku setups - both have the latest Roku Ultra. Both used to work just fine. Then they both started kicking these HDCP 020 errors. No other changes.

I am very frustrated.  I have followed the power off/unplug/wait/plug back in/power on instructions repeatedly.  This does not help. This error happens every day, often several times a day.

This does not fix the issue on either Roku setup. Same errors still occur on each.

I bought a highly rated HDMI cable for each Ultra/TV. No help.

Both systems: OS 11, build 4193-C2, display type 1080p HDCP 1.4, auto-adjust display refresh rate - off.

The only fix I have found is to go to Roku settings/power and reset the device. Once that's done then the Roku device will be working... until it's again not working.

I have some suspicion that this problem gets started when turning on the TV and hitting Home on the Roku remote. Perhaps some "handshake" timing is off that is only reset by using the Roku menu to reset the Roku device.

I can only conclude that the problem is caused by Roku.

The thing is -- this never used to happen. I have had no hardware changes at all (except upgrading the HDMI cables while trying to fix the problem.)

Is there **anyone** in Roku Support that is reading these messages and working to get a solution and roll it out??

Time to move on from Roku? Is that the only solution -- dump Roku and go elsewhere? Is that what Roku wants??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RichardSwe Check under your Power menu and ensure Power Saver is disabled. That has worked for virtually everyone who has reported a problem. I have a multitude of Roku players, including the Ultra 4800 you have, and I never see the error on any of them but my original Ultra 4640, which might just have a bad cable. I use that one so seldom I can't say for certain. But I'm using the 4800 right now without an issue.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RichardSwe
Reel Rookie

@Ray -- thank you. That makes some sense to me. I have set the power savings to Off on both Roku devices. (Bandwidth savings is left On on both.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, the bandwidth saver setting is separate from this issue. Fingers crossed it works for you.

Dan

0 Kudos
Birdbrain74
Channel Surfer

@RokuMary-F   

I get the HDCP error intermittently and performed all the steps in the support article. I’d like to contact support / create a ticket but there is no option to do so.

I’ve seen your posts that asks customers to obtain a “tracker ID”.  But I never see anything come of that, i.e., after you receive this info there is no post explaining what customers are supposed to do.

It’s very discouraging. Never had issues with 2 previous devices but considering ditching my brand new Express 4K+ for a competitor product.

So my question: why should customers go through these diagnostic steps if there is no response? Or am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Birdbrain74 to generate a Tracker ID, press the Home button 5 times in quick succession, then do the same with the Back button. If you did it quickly enough, the Tracker ID will appear on the screen. Write it down, or better yet take a picture, then post the info here. Roku can access a log within your device that matches that ID number so they can see a number of parameters that were set when the issue occurred, which can be a great help with troubleshooting for the developers. Unless there's something specific they'd like a customer to do (a rare occurrence), there's really nothing they can provide back to you. But it does help them try to figure out the cause of the problem.

Dan

0 Kudos
Profrn

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Device ID: SO7P515L1CLR

Software Version: 11.0.0 - Build 4193-CR

Power cycling the device causes the error. Changing Display Type (Auto > 1080p :: 1080p > Auto) solves the issue as long as the device remains powered on.

This just started in the past week

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

“As long as the device remains powered on”…that’s correct. You need to disable power saver mode to fix the HDCP problem permanently. Power saver mode automatically turns off the device after x number of minutes of inactivity. So disabling that feature will fix the problem. There’s a problem with power saver mode in the current firmware version.

0 Kudos