Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsc
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express k4 HDCP error

Sorry for the question, but what is an HDCP error?

The problem I am having is a breakup of streaming pictures and pixel distortion particularly on PBS. My connection is via wireless wifi. The 3 part connectivity check comes up positive.

Do you have any suggestions for this? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@gsc please edit your post and remove your email address. It's extremely dangerous to post your email on a public forum.

The HDCP error is a message that appears on screen when the HDMI handshake fails due to a security issue. It has nothing to do with image breakup or pixelization. Image breakup is usually confined to over the air broadcasts when the signal reaches the minimum level for a steady image. When streaming online, the breakup/pixelization is probably contained in the original image. Streaming video that has a slow stream or some sort of interruption will either freeze the image or you get what is called buffering, which usually loses the image and you see a loading icon on screen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
gsc
Reel Rookie

How do I correct pixelation?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@gsc wrote:

How do I edit my post?

Click the 3 vertical buttons to the right of the post and there's an option to edit your post. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

I’m having same issue with my 3940 model. 
HDCP error detected!

can someone from Roku reach out. It’s happened twice since I bought this thing 6 days ago. I only have 17 mins uptime on this thing 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dtfreitas85

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

First, there are a ton of reports like what you are asking for throughout this thread. There was a similar request back near the beginning. All we know is that we are being ignored.

I did some recent research. The current version if HDCP is 2.3. However I read in many places that in order NOT to cut out older TVs, having 1.4 will still allow content through, although not in 4k. Which is fine because TVs at 1.4 generally don't do 4k. I double checked and my TV DOES do 1.4 HDCP. So through the last 9.0 version  of the Roku OS, it worked just fine.

BUT when 10.x hit, boom, HDCP error making any Roku units a brick. Seems the OS change was to essentially lock out ALL 1.4 compliant TVs. Which seems to be 100% OPPOSITE of the intentions of HDCP.

Sure seems to have "class action" written all over it. Even worse is the 100% radio silence from Roku.

0 Kudos
rhoroc

I have a Roku Ultra (4660X2) and only had a problem playing 1883 in Paramount+ @ 4K 60HZ HDR, but lower resolutions would work. Went to Settings>System>Advance system settings>Advance display settings>Auto-adjust display refresh rate>Checked (OFF). Mine was checked ON but after changing the show work fine.

0 Kudos
Mojomarc

-Roku device model

4800x

serial number

X01000XUUWK2

device ID

SO2A21DUUWK2

and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

10.5.0 Build 4208-C2

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Have tried removing cables, powering down and restarting multiple times to no avail per the instructions 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mojomarc

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos