Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
311 REPLIES 311
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Roku Express k4 HDCP error

Received my new Roku express 4k on May 13, installed it on a 2019 Samsung 4k tv using wifi. Found out that the wifi behind my tv is not great. Roku wifi network test was too low, couldn't make it to work. Decided to use my Fire tv ethernet adapter on my Roku express. It has worked for 2, 3 weeks then I started to get HDCP ERROR 20 every day using Netflix and Tablo pvr. Tried everything Roku support said to do,  but nothing worked. I also have a Fire tv 4k, a Sony 4k blue ray player and a 2 year old gaming computer connected to the same tv without having any HDCP errors. Then this week I decided to take out the ethernet adapter and go back to wifi using a wifi extender. After 3 days, it is still working without HDCP error. I found it strange that the Roku would give me HDCP errors with the Fire tv ethernet adapter, but not the Fire tv, the Sony 4k player and the computer. I have ordered one of the Roku recommended ethernet adapter to see if it will work without HDCP error. Will let you know my findings. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express k4 HDCP error

@Koss67

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the information that I requested in my previous post and I'll be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

Model: 3940CA Roku express 4k 

ID : S07S5131EY0F

Software version : 10.0.1 build 4172-cr

Only happening when using Amazon fire stick ethernet adapter. Wifi and TV xStream ethernet adapter are ok.

Started 1 week after starting to use Amazon ethernet fire stick adapter. Haven't had any error in the last 2 days using TV xStream ethernet adapter. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Koss67 

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide the exact make and model of the adapter that you are using so we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Koss67
Channel Surfer

This is the ethernet adapter that I am using.  

https://www.amazon.ca/TV-xStream-Chromecast-Firesticks-Streaming/dp/B07SRR139T/

But, I have had 3 lock-ups yesterday and 1 today. It could be due to the use of that ethernet.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Just as a negative report: left on a trip two days after I bought my 4K+. Used it on a hotel 1080p set without issue for a week. It's currently connected to a 720p set in the spare bedroom. No errors on that set either. However, I travel again next week, so I'll be packing it back up for another hotel visit. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Unplugged

-Roku device model, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) 

3941X

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing - Roku will not recognize my HDCP 2.2 although both my Google and Amazon devices to so.

-when did you start seeing this issue occur - On setup. And continuing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Unplugged

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

For further investigation, please provide us the following additional information. Both can be found in Settings > System > About.

1. Device ID
  2. Software OS/version

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

need help, can you please call me?

0 Kudos