Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nocimonorcen
Reel Rookie

Apps Automatically Closing After Being Paused for 2 Minutes or Less

this is stupidly annoying - mine not only jumps out of what I am watching but then opens up a completely random new app ☹️

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps Automatically Closing After Being Paused for 2 Minutes or Less

@nocimonorcen, read the response marked as the solution.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @nocimonorcen,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the playback issue you're running into.
Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel
  4. How long has the issue been occurring?
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eschrank

I am having the same issue with a brand new Roku. (we have many), so will provide the answers along with the original poster. This is driving my wife crazy. We have only seen this on YouTubeTv as that is 99% of our viewing. We get no error codes. This happened immediately after install in about November. Updates are auto installed, so all up to date. The only troubleshooting was to check for any settings that might effect this and check for updates. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @eschrank,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting regarding your channel playback issue with Youtube TV.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

You may also refer to this link for more playback issue troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nocimonorcen
Reel Rookie

1. iPlayer and YouTube definitely. Using the stick with the ferrite antenna.

2. Just tied Netflix and it doesn't do it as the screen saver doesn't seem to activate as quickly.

3. No the channel closes and the random (advertised by screen saver?) channel opens. There are no codes

4. Good few months.

5. I figured if you press the ok button then play it works. However, I keep forgetting to press ok - If the screen saver has activated play/pause opens whatever you are advertising? (maybe)

Love Roku products btw - Downstairs we've got the stream bar - Could you make a bigger and better one? I don't actually mind the standard one but the Mrs is a snob and keeps pestering me to buy a better soundbar. I need one that has Roku functionality louder, more meaty, with Atmos or something :ok:

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nocimonorcen wrote:

5. I figured if you press the ok button then play it works. However, I keep forgetting to press ok - If the screen saver has activated play/pause opens whatever you are advertising? (maybe)

^^^^^ This, as has been stated many times.  If you can't get out of the habit of pressing Play/Pause then disable your screensaver or switch to one that doesn't advertise.  I'd suggest getting in the habit of pressing the Down arrow button every time you pick up the remote and your troubles will be over.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos