Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gymJENkie
Reel Rookie

Always have to restart Roku or else Streaming videos (Hulu, HBO max, etc) is black

every time I turn the Tv/Roku back on the next day or 30 + minutes later, or just turning it back on in general, I always have to restart the Roku or else, the screen will stay black if I choose a show or movie to watch from HBO Max, paramount , Hulu, etc. restarting it helps but that’s just annoying to do every time I turn the TV back on. I have this issue on both Roku Express 4k + on 11.5.0.4312. Every thing is up to date on TV and Roku. I already tried factory reset and still same issues. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Always have to restart Roku or else Streaming videos (Hulu, HBO max, etc) is black

Hi @gymJENkie

Thanks for your post. 

We would like to inquire if the device is connected to the USB port of the TV or a wall outlet. It has been observed that the USB power provided by some TVs may not be sufficient to operate the device properly, leading to issues such as instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

To address this, we highly recommend that you use the included power cord and adapter to plug your Roku device into a functional wall outlet. This will provide a more stable source of power, and also enable the device to start up more quickly each time you turn on your TV, as it will not have to power up from the USB port.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
wrecka

Re: Always have to restart Roku or else Streaming videos (Hulu, HBO max, etc) is black

its you people and ur channel where im on pc or the tv every show i try to watch freezes. Im a gamer so i have very high speed internet. So let's not go there fix ur bandwidth and respect the customer how hard is it

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @wrecka

Thanks for your post. 

We'd like to know more about how we can best assist you. As we asked above, how is your Roku device is being powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the television or to an electrical wall outlet? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more details, we will be able to assist you further. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
gymJENkie
Reel Rookie

It happens on any of the channels, Hulu to HBO Max. One device is connected via USB and the other one is connected via power source so I don’t think think that’s the issue. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@gymJENkie 

Try disabling the Power Savings Feature of your Roku device in the settings.

Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20-min inactivity [uncheck to Disable]

-----

The power savings feature seems to cause some HDMI handshake issues on some setups.  Normally, just pressing the Home button will wake the Roku from both sleep and this power savings mode.  However, some have found it necessary to disable completely.

If you aren't already, remember to press the Home button when you are finished streaming before powering down the TV.  If you aren't doing this, then the Roku will continue streaming and if enabled, this power saving feature will kick in, requiring you to press the Home button to wake up the device.  Some Roku users mistakenly think the Power button is for their Roku device, but it is only for TV control (has no effect on the Roku device).

Just mentioning the Power button confusion above in case you are new to Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos