Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anole
Reel Rookie

Re: All sound, no picture

Jump to solution

I have searched through all of your suggestions and tried every one, but nothing has worked.  I find some variations in display/audio between channels.  Paramount starts to play a show (video and sound), but stops and displays "Error. Unfortunately, an error occurred during playback. Please try again."  PBS has audio and subtitles, but no video. Free channels are variations on these cases.  

0 Kudos
anole
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem today, so since March 24.  Even the free Roku channel won't play.  Restart works for about 30 seconds or not at all.  I've rebooted Roku and the gateway, checked all wire connections, and checked the internet signal.  No joy. What else can be done?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@anole

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried using another HDMI port as well as switching out the HDMI cable to see if that helps?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried plugging in your device to another TV and seeing if you are experiencing the same issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JayOak
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This happened on Monday night to me and a restart solved the problem.  It has now happened again Friday night and a restart isn't fixing the issue and all cables are plugged in correctly.  What is going on for this to randomly keep happening?

0 Kudos
JayOak
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

And again today with no picture just sound.  Can someone please help?  Why is this happening?  If the HDMI was not plugged in I would have no picture at all.  I can access all the menus, and select channels, Netflix etc, but I click onto a show and just sound and no picture.  This is now happening daily and taking multiple restarts for it to work.  What is the fix as this seems to be a hardware or software issue with Roku!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out, @JayOak.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What Roku model device are you using?

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eaclark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was setting up a 2nd device (bedroom TV) and ran into this same problem.  Everything else "setup" just fine until I tried to "watch" a channel.  I visited Roku support but found NO answer.  Then, I visited the "community" but was NOT able to see any solutions.  I "took matters into my own hands" and went to settings.  I found that I just needed to change the "display type" and that solved my problem.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
JayOak
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've tested this "fix" two nights in a row and seems to have stuck.  It seems to be the way I turn the Roku off after I'm done watching TV.  I've had it for 2 years and this "fix" is mindboggling.  After I'm done watching a show, I hit home and then i change the input setting from HDMI to TV and then I then off the power to the TV.  Next time I start up the Roku it's fine.  I have no idea why just turning the TV off after watching a show would do this to the Roku but there you have it.  This is such a stupid "fix" but so far it works.

0 Kudos
CareTaker

Jump to solution

same problem for me. no matter what I chose, all sound but no video

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CareTaker,

Thanks for the post.

Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?

We suggest restarting your Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart. for Roku TV, Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.

If you have a Roku TV, have you tried unplugging your TV for 10-15 minutes then plugging it back in?

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos