Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eyezlo7

Re: All sound, no picture

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express 3700X. I have sound but no picture. Just a black screen when using Netflix, Disney Plus, etc. I’ve updated everything, restarted and even unplugged Roku. Can’t seem to figure it out. 

0 Kudos
eaclark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had that same problem and tried several things.  I might suggest that you go to "system", click on "Display and see whether you show 720 or 1080.  You will also have the option of "auto search".  Try that first (after you have noted whether you are currently 720 or 1080).  If it still comes back to the same setting, just manually switch to the other (720 or 1080).  I have used this "trick" a couple of times on different units and it seems to work.  It's worth a shot!  Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Eyezlo7

Jump to solution

Apparently it was in my aspect ratio and picture setting. I have a Sharp TV and it needed to be on wide mode and energy saving mode. Weird but it worked. 

Mangorachi

Jump to solution

I tried every combination of restarts, button up down keys, uninstalling and reinstalling apps and none of that worked. A Factory reset is the only thing that fixed mine. I used a bobby pin to hold down the reset button on my roku device for 10 seconds and then signed into Netflix and my video is back. Hopefully this works for you too

Hapus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We have exactly the same problem with our Roku Express ever since the software upgrade: I can see everything on the Roku Home page and when I select an app, I can see everything but as soon as I press play, the audio is there but no sound. So we have to reset every time we want to use it in order to make it work properly.

- select Settings

- select System

- select System restart

- select Restart

We have to do this EVERY time we want to use it. It's such a nuisance especially as it's still within its guarantee. But will I have the same problem if I have another which seems highly likely given the number of people with the same problem?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Hapus

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

We would recommend performing the troubleshooting steps below and see if that will make a difference.

1. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    • Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
    • If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.
  2. There is a problem with the TV
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.
  3. If all else fails…
    • Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sbauer13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've started getting this problem with no video, just audio on any playback but menus, etc. are fine. I've found I can temporarily solve the problem by going to Display Settings & clicking on Auto Detect, even though it is already set to Auto Detect. When I go back to a program the video has returned, but I often get the same problem the next day.

This is happening with both a new Roku 4K+ Express on one TV & a Roku Premiere on another TV which I been using for over a year & half and never had this problem before. And last night with the Premiere, I had no video OR audio, and was able to restore both by resetting the Display Settings & the Audio settings.

There has to be some solution so I [we] don't have to go through this process everytime I sit down to watch TV.

0 Kudos
IGaines52

Jump to solution

I own a Roku Ultra and this problem started for me 3 weeks ago. Have tried evrything and nothing has worked. Ive only had my Roku for 2 Months. Is there waranty and how do I get it replaced ???

0 Kudos
Hapus
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello,

My son is and IT Technician and has checked everything - cables, TV etc as you suggested. But we are still having the same problem - sound but no video output until we do the following:

- select Settings

- select System

- select System restart

- select Restart

It's a nuisance and quite frankly I'm getting fed up. I was asked by a friend who was thinking about buying a Roku and told him the problems we are having  - he decided not to bother. This is going to affect your sales if there are so many of us experiencing the same problem and no solution is forthcoming.

JayOak
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a problem Roku needs to fix and get an update out ASAP.  It continues to happen to me every time I'm turning the unit on - needs a system restart for it to work properly.  It's a real PITA and lack of support just drives customers elsewhere.  That's what you get I guess for something that's $40.....  Invest your money elsewhere on a more reliable system!

0 Kudos