Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: After 10.5 update, Dolby Digital + passthrough not working

@hnashif  OK well PCM 2.0 audio format is a digital version of Two-channel / L+R / Stereo.  On the Roku Express+ 3710 (2016) and 3910 (2017) (which are the only current Roku devices with non-HDMI outputs) and pre-spring 2013 Roku device models (which are no longer supported as of summer 2020), Stereo is the only audio output format heard on the non-HDMI outputs (composite and Y/Pb/Pr).  Due to analog TV sets becoming obsolete and going bye-bye in around late 2000s/early 2010s, none of the major streaming players are being produced with analog video output ports anymore, so most of the programming today, and most HDMI workaround adapters will expect the end user to use a 16:9 set.  There may be generic unlicensed/no-name brand Android devices with the analog ports, circulating around Chinese and Mexican-based online stores and eBay but I’d recommend a major streaming player over a generic unlicensed player any day.  I mostly shop on eBay for analog audiovisual electronics and videotape releases including public domain releases and Disney releases.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Since both Auto (Automatically transcodes/converts all output to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device) and Custom (Automatically converts all output to the selected Dolby level) seem to be working correctly, but Passthrough is only giving you PCM 2.0, can you give some examples of known 5.1 tagged app content (meaning in an app, the content has a visible 5.1 tag) that are tagged as 5.1 but only produce PCM 2.0 on output with Passthrough enabled?

Have you verified that your AVR doesnt have any kind of audio processing/surround mode enabled for the HDMI port its on (enable Direct mode etc)?

Barring that, have you tried connecting your 4802 (Passthrough configured) to a TV or another device to verify that Passthrough mode is in fact working correctly?

hnashif
Channel Surfer

The receiver is showing the type of input signal as I stated before as either Atmos w/ Auto, or the selected Custom signal type. The issue is that in Passthrough, it is showing PCM. Note that I tried an old BD player set to Bitstream  output and the AVR identified two disks correctly as DD+ and DTS-HD Master.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@hnashif  OK well then I guess it is a software issue with certain units of these post-2020 Roku devices then.  Might as well contact the Roku Customer Support here.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@hnashif 

You didnt answer any of the questions.

To repeat:

1) "Can you give some examples of known 5.1 tagged app content (meaning in an app, the content has a visible 5.1 tag) that are tagged as 5.1 but only produce PCM 2.0 on output with Passthrough enabled?"

and

2) "Have you verified that your AVR doesnt have any kind of audio processing/surround mode enabled for the HDMI port its on (enable Direct mode etc)?"

and

3) "Barring that, have you tried connecting your 4802 (Passthrough configured) to a TV or another device to verify that Passthrough mode is in fact working correctly?"

hnashif
Channel Surfer

1- I have played Atmos tagged media on Netflix in Passthrough that the AVR input signal recognized as PCM 2.0

2- I am reporting the AVR Input Signal type as recognized by the AVR not what processing is applied to the it by the AVR. The AVE shows both the input signal type and the output of the AVR signal processing. 

3-I do not have a TV capable of anything by PCM or even indicating the input signal type.

0 Kudos
km10

Thanks for the suggestion @Bob_ME. Your solution of turning off leveling worked brilliantly. Would never have discovered this and the sound quality after that is night and day. Roku really needs to document or fix this issue. 

0 Kudos