Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: After 10.5 update, Dolby Digital + passthrough not working

That’s very odd unless you have a very old or cheap series. Even my TCL 32” 32S327 has those options and it’s like 2 years old running 10.5. While watching something press the * button on the remote. What series do you have? My 65” is a series 65S435 and it has the options. Your running 10.5? Do you have a soundbar? Do you have something plugged into HDMI ARC?My TCL 32”My TCL 32”

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

It's fairly new, is a 55", TCL R625...  And it does show Sound Modes, but only the usual things, bass, treble, speech, music, etc, no Sound Leveling option. It's just not there. I see, you have Volume Mode, I don't, that's the issue!

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Fairly new? What series is it exactly? Go to settings/system/about. What series is your TV and what version of Roku OS is it using? Upload a picture when you press the * also. Where did you buy the TV from? If it is a TCL R625 those were released in 2019 and are budget friendly series. 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

I gave you that info, it's a series 6! And it's using Roku 10.5, it's the most up-to-date there is, as I just checked earlier today. 2019 sounds about right, and does "budget friendly" mean it should be missing features?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

You did not provide enough information. Go to settings/system/about. Exactly what does it say for series. My 32” says exactly this “TCL model 32S327” Software version 10.5.0•build 4210-48.

and from what I’m gathering budget friendly means you have less features. But my 32” was only $200 And it has all those features

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

So you just contradicted yourself!  

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Explain how I contracticted myself? Interesting. If you do in fact have an R625 that is not new. It was released in 2019. Did you try a factor reset? Something to try. When you first bought the TV years ago did it ever have volume leveling? Was it there from the start and now it is not? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@StevenCee 

I am certainly no audio expert/afficionado and cannot tell any discernible difference between these different Settings. (too many concerts in my younger days).

Like you, my Insignia RokuTV also does not have a Sound Level or Volume Mode. (different manufactures, different Roku OS builds, different features available to adjust).  All I have is a Sound Mode - Theatre, Speech, Normal, Big Bass, High Treble, and Music to choose from.  Those other previously mentioned modes of Leveling, Night, etc, are however available on my Roku devices.

----

If your question is more regarding the DD+/Passthrough, the only Audio Setting I see on my RokuTV that mentions DD+ or Passthrough are located in my Settings. (Settings...Audio..Digital Audio Format).

Within that Setting, I see 4 options.

1. Auto

2. Passthrough

3. Stereo

4. Custom (Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital +, as well as a DTS compatible AVR option)

----

Maybe these are available to you as well.  I really don't remember seeing these in previous Roku OS builds but I just use the TV speakers and only mess with the Audio Settings if encountering a Channel/app issue during troubleshooting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  I have 2 TCL Roku TV's. a 32" and a 65". Both have volume leveling and have had since I bought them. My Mother has a 32" TCL Roku TV and it has volume leveling. Same model as mine 32S327. My 65" is a 65S435. I have 10 family members that I recommended TCL Roku TV's to them. All have volume level. So with that said it depends upon which TCL model/ series you buy. Just like the Roku Express comes in 3 different versions. The base model Express does not have all the features the Express 4K+ does. 

Edit to this.....................my buddy just texted me. His Hisense Roku TV does not have volume leveling. Roku OS 10.5. He said it was never there and he has owned it for the past 3 years. Confirming it's  a feature offered in certain makes and models. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@TrooperDada326 

Best place to put your owned devices is in your footer signature so everyone knows.  (Profile Settings)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102