Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElPablo
Reel Rookie

Outdoor wired camera not allowing playback

Jump to solution

My outdoor cameras are not recording any video. They take an image, but there's no video playback ability. The SD card is recording the videos, but the app is not allowing me to view them.

I do not have a subscription, nor was I told I had to have a subscription to watch videos.

I formatted the SD card, I tried resetting the camera, and I'm a little out of options and ideas.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Outdoor wired camera not allowing playback

Jump to solution

@ElPablo

Thanks for the post.

If you want to watch a video playback from a SD in the camera, you can watch the video by removing the SD card from the camera and connecting the SD card to a computer.

If you are trying to view video playback through the Roku Smart Home mobile app, you must purchase a Roku Smart Home subscription to view event video recordings, regardless if you have a SD card or not.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ElPablo

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that you must purchase a Roku Smart Home subscription to view event video recordings saved to the cloud.

For more details information about how to view event video recordings, visit our Support page here: View recordings on your camera or doorbell

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ElPablo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I said they have sd cards. So you are saying that even with an sd card, i cannot watch video replay in the app?? NOWHERE is this stated on Roku's site or packaging. 

So to be clear, people have to have a subscription to watch video playback from the SD cards in the cameras?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ElPablo

Thanks for the post.

If you want to watch a video playback from a SD in the camera, you can watch the video by removing the SD card from the camera and connecting the SD card to a computer.

If you are trying to view video playback through the Roku Smart Home mobile app, you must purchase a Roku Smart Home subscription to view event video recordings, regardless if you have a SD card or not.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ElPablo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

WOW, that was not outlined anywhere. Had I known, I'd have NOT bought the cameras. I specifically got them to be able to see them in the app. Sadly, I wasted my money, but I learned a lesson. 

I guess I will not be recommending Roku cameras to others. 

c0debr8ker

Jump to solution

Yes , I also purchased these cameras to watch video from the app. No one wants to spend time moving Driving in heavy traffic cards back and forth to computers. 
also no one is looking for someone else online to try and charge them another monthly bill to use there products. 
I will be returning this junk today.

highly disappointed in Roku and the greed that runs rampant online!

Jump to solution

Contact support because I get a subscription now and I'm also seeing videos now so it does work you just have to figure it out

0 Kudos
ElPablo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As I stated in my previous post, I do not have a subscription and do not want one. If I put a MicroSD card in the camera I should be able to watch videos no matter what. I shouldn't require a video subscription to watch videos that are saved on a disc inside the camera.

0 Kudos