Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tensux
Channel Surfer

volume control on sony ARV

I upgraded from a a 4670 ultra to the 4800X ultra. I am using a a sony STR-dn1080 receiver.  The remote for the older roku ultra could control volume on the AVR.  I cannot get the new remote (RC-EL3) to do the same. 

I saw a warning pairing the remote saying that it will only control tv's and not AVR's, however I was able to pair the old remote (RC-AL9) with the 4800x to control the AVR volume.  I have an IR receiver in the wall as everything is hidden in a closet.  When I press the volume on the RC-AL9 I can see the IR receiver light up as it changes the volume.  When I try the same with the RC-EL3 the receiver doesn't light up.

Is there any trick to getting the newer remotes to control an ARV's volume? It would suck to need to use one remote to control the roku and then another to change the volume.  I tried finding another RC-AL9, but the only one i could find is an ebay seller asking $50 for it. 

11 REPLIES 11
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: volume control on sony ARV

Refresh the cec devices in the settings of the tv. The roku remote controls the tv, the tv controls the AVR via hdmi-cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tensux
Channel Surfer

its currently working with the rc-al9.  I am afraid to make any changes that could cause it to stop working as well.   I would have thought it if was an issue with the tv, that the old remote would not work.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Roku remote's can not be programmed for any audio device, just TV's. 

You're not doing anything to the Roku or it's remote, just getting the TV to recognize your new Ultra 4800 as a cec device. The tv can have more than one similar device recognized as a cec device.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

I have an ultra plus gaged directly into the receiver, and then sending video up to the TV via aRC. Is there any way at all that I can control the volume on the Roku remote direct to the receiver. I tried to go into the menu, and change for receiver, but it’s still only looks for the TV.

tensux
Channel Surfer

I have found that this can only be done with one of the older models remotes, the rc-al9.  I have bought several of them in case one breaks.

0 Kudos
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

Thank you, do you need to go into the secret menu in order to allow it to recognize the receiver? And the rc-al9 will work with the ultra?

0 Kudos
tensux
Channel Surfer

No you dont need get into the secret menu, I am currently using it with the latest ultra model which came with the **bleep** rechargeable remote.  be warned though this model is hard to find.  I had the get them from ebay waiting for someone to be selling a used one.  

0 Kudos
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

Have u found any rc-al9? Do u have any for sale. This sux. I don’t understand if I use the secret menu and change to receiver control, why it won’t control the Sony receiver

0 Kudos
tensux
Channel Surfer

I do not have any for sale. I would just keep checking ebay.  that's where I got mine. 

0 Kudos