Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roku has no sound when connected to projector

I just bought a roku express and hooked it up to my Optoma HD26 projector. The device works great however there is no sound when I try to play any kind of media. The sound works as the roku is turning on and loading noise is loud and clear however when a show is playing there is no sound. I called Roku they said it sounds like my device isn't compatible with the roku however I just got off the phone with Optoma and their technical support guy said they have no issues with roku streaming devices and everything should be working fine. Can someone share some insight on what might be going on or let me know if youre having the same issue. This is a brand new roku express right out of the box and I have tried all the audio solutions so far i.e. changing the audio setting and factory resetting the device. I even returned the roku and bought a new one?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku has no sound when connected to projector

@taylorpaate wrote:

I just bought a roku express and hooked it up to my Optoma HD26 projector. The device works great however there is no sound when I try to play any kind of media. The sound works as the roku is turning on and loading noise is loud and clear however when a show is playing there is no sound. I called Roku they said it sounds like my device isn't compatible with the roku however I just got off the phone with Optoma and their technical support guy said they have no issues with roku streaming devices and everything should be working fine. Can someone share some insight on what might be going on or let me know if youre having the same issue. This is a brand new roku express right out of the box and I have tried all the audio solutions so far i.e. changing the audio setting and factory resetting the device. I even returned the roku and bought a new one?

Most online streaming sites use Dolby Digital+ as the audio codec. It's highly likely your projector doesn't support that codec. I tried looking that projector up online, but was unable to find what audio codecs are supported. But your description absolutely matches an unsupported audio codec. Your only solution is to use a soundbar/AVR with HDMI in/out and let it process the audio. Obviously, that device needs to support DD+. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tamerelap
Reel Rookie

same issue here. Sound is ok on startup, but I can't ear anything after loading the main menu (roku premiere + optoma hd141x).

fun fact: when I restart the roku from the remote, startup sequence is muted.

basically, the sound works for a few seconds only when I unplug/plug back the roku alimentation.

0 Kudos
tamerelap
Reel Rookie

update: I finally got it working perfectly fine, right before I return my roku to the seller (and after optoma support told me my projector needs repair...). It seems to be a problem with most streaming device when paired with optoma projectors.

You can fix it from your projector settings by disabling "hdmi link" in the advanced settings menu. Then restart the projector and boom, sound is back again.

This hdmi feature (enabled by default) gives the projector the ability to turn on/off every connected devices by itself (so you just need one single remote control). Aparently it can cause some handshake problem when the device is not compatible.

Jaimem

Disabling the auto hdmi worked perfect thank you!

0 Kudos
VicFlo

1st thing your projector May not have a built in speaker. I have a fire stick hooked up to my projector and it works great here’s how I did it. You’re going to need a external speaker or something, I have a sound bar. You’re going to need a HDMI to HDMI audio extractor converter $25.95 , optical or rca audio cables, I purchased these on Amazon, look for this part.

(JTDAT5CH)

0 Kudos
lopew43
Reel Rookie

Yes really whenever I try to connect my roku with projector the volume very dull in that situation please help me to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
Sunlight

was having the same problem. I had to change the roku express auto setting. I changed the streaming auto format to auto, the digital auto format I changed to auto and the menu format I changed to high. So I changed everything in there to auto and the sound worked. I hope this help someone. I am beyond happy now ☺️ 😊

0 Kudos