Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chechasita
Reel Rookie

purchased a roku express-- device cannot update in order to do set up installation

I have several roku's and have never had a problem with set up. I purchased one in may as a  JUST IN CASE to have if one of mine from another TV goes bad or quits.. that day happened today. I got out the roku express and connected it. it booted up and I got thru the set up to the point of the roku updating itself and it can't. so now it just continues to reboot then sits.. with a purple blue screen the goes into reboot. this is repeated over and over.. I purchased it from the roku.com   site-- where I have my roku account in may.  I have no clue as to how to contact roku about the fact this roku doesn't work.  any suggestions???????????

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: purchased a roku express-- device cannot update in order to do set up installation

Log into your Roku account on your computer.  Click the tab for Setup and troubleshooting.  When that opens scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page and find Agent Support (right above purple banner).

Click on check support options.  continue from there.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: purchased a roku express-- device cannot update in order to do set up installation

@chechasita 

Since it's a recent (this year) purchase, it's probably a model 3930, if it is a Roku Express. That's the current model device with that name, and it would be expected to work.

Since you have several devices, you have some troubleshooting options.

First, try a Factory Reset. With power applied, press and hold the Reset button for no less than 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work, it may be that there is something interfering with the network at that specific location (the TV you're trying). The Express is 2.4 GHz only, and depending on the channel it's on (for 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6, and 11 are the preferred ones). Moving the device to another TV may get a better signal and allow the update to work. That doesn't resolve potential network issues going forward, and isn't ideal, but this would be a proper troubleshooting step to determine if it's that specific location getting interference.

Some others here are network wizards, and may have some very good suggestions.

Apart from that, you can initiate a warranty return/replacement. https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@chechasita

Thanks for the post.

In addition to what @DBDukes has mentioned, have you tried connecting your Roku device to another wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to update your Roku device. Then once you've finished updating and setting up your Roku device, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos