Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevL
Channel Surfer

Wrong serial number was registered

I installed a Streaming Stick 4K about a week ago. When it works, it delivers excellent video and audio together. However, it has constant connection issues and I have to go through unplug/plug process daily and sometimes for a couple times in a day. I wanted to try to connect it to a different HDMI port on my TV and I needed an extension so I tried to order a free extender through Roku.com. After a couple futile attempts, I gave up on it. (BTW Roku needs to check on this order system since it’s not working.) While I was going through this order attempt, I found the serial number registered in my account was wrong. Since I didn’t type it in but the Roku pulled it out from the device in the middle of the setup process, I have no idea how and why the wrong serial number was registered. My question is if this wrong serial number could affect the performance of my Roku stick, and if it does, then how can I correct the registration info in my account. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Wrong serial number was registered

What does the serial number on the Roku unit itself read and what is the wrong serial number registered?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
KevL
Channel Surfer

Number on the stick: S08Y422JTS71

Registered number: X017000JTS71

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

That, is, bizarre.  Seems like there might have been an error while the device units were being manufactured.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
KevL
Channel Surfer

Maybe I should return the stick and ask for a replacement, then?

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Probably.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@KevL 

The serial numbers are different after setup and activation and are generated for your Roku account.  When the serial number is requested, preferably use the one that is available at https://my.roku.com/account that is at the bottom of the page under Linked Devices.  Ideally, this should match the Serial Number under Settings/System/About.

Roku support can coordinate all these different numbers (some are really device numbers).  This is normal to have multiple numbers.

-----

As for your connection issues, try either using the Home button to wake up the Roku device, or try disabling the power savings feature. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 min interaction).

If you are actually losing network connection, then may need to set your wireless channel in your router to a manual channel (36-48 or 149-161 on the 5ghz band), rather than using "Auto channel selection".

If you can provide more details what is actually occuring, can attempt to pinpoint more likely the issue.

[Edit] Re: the HDMI extensions.  Users are reporting issues completing the form for the free extender.  Can certainly tag a Roku employee here for you but may be easier to just get one from a store (just a female to male adapter cable, and can get a longer one that may suit your needs better).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Oh man, this is what I should’ve explained!
So it’s not a numbering error on the manufacturer’s part.  Could be two serial numbers.  However I can’t check if my Roku 3910 has two serial numbers right now because I’m still out of town as of this posting.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
KevL
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your help, AvsGunnar. Maybe I should keep the stick for another week and follow your suggestion to see if it helps. Meanwhile, the number registered in my account is not a working number because I received a "Wrong SN" reply from the Roku system when I used this number to order a free HDMI extender. 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@KevL 

Certainly could still just be the order form still having an issue as reported by others.

Will tag @RokuMary-F and @RokuKariza-D and see if they can help get you this extender since you posted your serial numbers in previous posting above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102