Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alice1979

Weighing the pros and cons of getting a Roku

Hello everyone!  I'm currently trying to weigh the pros and cons. Our current cable bill with mid range internet a month is $260 😳 So today, he changed our service to the bare basic cable and mid range internet (We have 3 daughters so we need to have internet for possible online schooling is the schools have to close) and it's down to $109 thankfully!).

I have been asking my husband REPEATEDLY about looking into getting Roku but he hasn't had time to actually sit down and do the research. I've spoke to people who have Roku but they have not been able to help me answer 1 question I always ask..

My mother is 82 years old and has finally been able to master all the buttons on our cable remote (we have a TV upstairs to watch and she has a TV downstairs to watch) after 6 months 🤣

If we decide on getting a Roku for the upstairs TV, can she keep her basic TV/cable downstairs? We can't get rid of the cable because the cheapest route to keep the internet is to bundle with our cable company 😑

IF... she can keep her normal TV remote with her cable... what speed of the internet does the Roku need?

Thank you all in advanced if you can answer that 1 question no one else I have spoke to can answer!! 🤞

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Weighing the pros and cons of getting a Roku

Sure!

You can have cable TV, Dish Network TV, and DirecTV, Antenna TV and Roku and more all at same time. (If you really want a lot of TV! Smiley Happy)

Most Roku owners I know use Roku to add some things like Netflix and Amazon Prime to their existing TV watching.  Some replaced their old setup with Roku.  Both work. 

Internet speed depends on resolution and service.  For example, Netflix recommends 5 Mbps for HD.  However, I have run a Roku in years past on a 800 Kbps (.8Mbps) connection.  It wasn’t great but it was good enough to watch something that I couldn’t watch any other way.

I suggest you get one and see what you think.  It’s just a device on your network, like a laptop, and you don’t have to commit to anything.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Weighing the pros and cons of getting a Roku

@Alice1979 wrote:

...  Our current cable bill with mid range internet a month is $260 😳 So today, he changed our service to the bare basic cable and mid range internet ... and it's down to $109 thankfully!).

Is $109 the total bill? Have you actually received a bill where that is the bottom line? Or might you end up with a higher amount, due to device rental (router, TV boxes, etc), broadcast fees (local channels, sports channels), and other fees (they love fees)?

Depending on what the final monthly bill amount is, you may have a good setup already. Of course, it may be for a limited time if the cable service gave you a 6-month or 12-month special after which your cost goes up $20, $40, $60, etc, monthly.

So, depending on all that -- which is a lot -- you may have a good deal already, and a Roku device might not bring much to the table.

@Alice1979 wrote:

... I have been asking my husband REPEATEDLY about looking into getting Roku but he hasn't had time to actually sit down and do the research. ...

If he didn't think it important enough to do the research, he may be inclines to think it is not necessary. However, he may like the Roku and be thankful that you did the research yourself. You would know better which extreme would be more likely.

@Alice1979 wrote:

... My mother is 82 years old and has finally been able to master all the buttons on our cable remote (we have a TV upstairs to watch and she has a TV downstairs to watch) after 6 months ...

Keeping cable, at least for the short term, is probably a good idea, as she would likely be the last one to adapt to using a Roku device. Of course, you wouldn't need to put a Roku on her TV initially, until you were ready to begin to transition her, if at all.

@Alice1979 wrote:
... If we decide on getting a Roku for the upstairs TV, can she keep her basic TV/cable downstairs? ...

Yes, each TV would need a Roku device in order to use a Roku. Roku only replaces cable if you cancel cable. And you would only use Roku on each TV to which you added a Roku device.

@Alice1979 wrote:

... We can't get rid of the cable because the cheapest route to keep the internet is to bundle with our cable company ...

I, too, have run across situations such as that. Sometimes, that is the cheapest way to go.

@Alice1979 wrote:

... IF... she can keep her normal TV remote with her cable... what speed of the internet does the Roku need?...

50 Mbps should be plenty fast. If you're only using one stream, 25 Mbps may be plenty fast. Unless someone is into Internet gaming, which can eat up bandwidth.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."